HybridZ

ls6 mated to a z32 tranny

zmann69

I think you would spend more for an adaptor and clutch set up than you would for a used t-56. I have not seen it done on this forum. I know Austin has done an adaptor plate for the L series datsun motor to the Z32 tranny but that won't help you.

• Administrators

Zmann69,

This really is more of a personal opinion rather than technical help. Planning a V-8 Z-32 project myself, already have the Supercharged SBC V-8 with T-56, clutch flywheel etc. Mockup in the ’90 parts car to start late summer.

I personally do not like the Z-32 transmissions. If I were planning to keep my N/A VG30DE in my Z-32, I would be chucking that OE 5 speed in favor of an S-30 280-Z 5speed in a heart beat! My Z-32 synchros in 4th are going, 5th are hit and miss at best, 1st gear will engage ONLY at a dead stop, and I hate that rubbery feeling at the end of the shifter throws. First Z-32 had very worn synchros as well, and commonly stumble upon others sharing similar experiences, though not all Z-32 owners feel this way.

Any how, here is my pros and cons list for the Z-32 5 speed vs the T-56;

Z-32 tranny Pros;

1) Strong.

2) Fits the Z-32 chassis and OE shifter hole in console.

Z-32 tranny Cons;

1) Synchros are a known weak point. Any trans over 80,000/100,000 miles probably should be rebuilt, (add the rebuild cost to initial trans cost)

2) Shifter feel, even with new/good condition bushings, is rubbery at the end of the throw, much like a front wheel drive cable actuated shifter. The S-30 transmissions offer a more precise, positive shifter feel with better feeling synchros.

T-56 Pros;

1) Bullet proof!

2) Weighs no more than a Z-32 trans.

3) has an extra tall 6th gear for greater freeway mileage.

4) Shifter feel is very precise and solid, with a positive feeling detent as it clicks into each and every gear.

5) Fits the GM engine so no custom clutch or tranny adaptor is needed.

T-56 Cons;

1) It is heavy, though for this strength level for a street-able transmission, the T-56 is arguably the lightest for its torque capacity, (and is within a pound or two of the Z-32 5 speed).

2) Shifter location might not line up perfectly in shifter hole depending on where the GM engine is placed in the engine bay. Building a dog leg into the shifter is quick and dirty solution if need be.

Ok i apologize. Either i misread your heading or you changed it. I thought it said "L6 matted to a Z32 tranny." Which is a combo that is done all the time and Im sure there are stickies about. Im sorry. Just been getting frustrated with people asking questions that there is even stickies covering the exact question at hand. I believe the swap your talking about is a road less traveled

• Administrators

We weighed an LT 1 T-56 and a Z-32 5 speed on the same scale and as memory serves, were within 2-3 lbs of each other. 135-138 lbs rings a bell. The actual weight might be a little off.