HybridZ

Update to 4:11 R200 problems with half shafts. With Pix

VinhZXT

Hi all,

Here's an update to the 4:11 R200 problem with half shafts. I put the longer CV shaft on the passenger side and the shorter shaft on the driver side. 2 problems, the shorter one won't snap into the circlip and the longer shaft sticks out 1/4". Go to here to look at the pictures since tripod wont' let other web site link to there data base. http://vvu.tripod.com/zxspyder/

So here is my opinion if you want to put in a 4.11 R200. Get the 280Z R200 half shafts and unbolt 4 bolts on each end of the input shafts and swap just the input shaft and everything will fit and snap in there the way it should be. If you want to use the CVs then I would use 2 short half shafts since you will be using either the longer stub flange or the adapter piece, this will make up the length for the pass. side shaft. Feel free to get me know what your thoughts.

Jeromio,

I think you should double check your 4.11 swap again after you look at those pictures.

Vinh http://vvu.tripod.com

jeromio,

Hmm maybe there is a difference between the 85 and 86 200SXT R200 but I dont' see why Nissan would put in different rear end for both years. I will have to do more studying about these rears and half shafts because I have 4 or 5 R200 in my garage. I have 2 3.7 LSDs and they don't have the same input shafts config either.. Will post more pix and info about the LSDs problem. I believe there is another person with a couple post down that has the same LSD and has the same problem with the half shaft as me.

[ September 21, 2001: Message edited by: VinhZXT ]

Jeromio,

Please check the messages posted by JohnInSalem. He got the same LSD that I got. Oh and I have 2 3.7 LSDs and one of them fit the 280ZXT CVs fine but the other is not. Maybe I am just unlucky to have bought this unit. But looks like this LSD and the 4.11 used the same type of half shafts. This is just information that I gathered about all these rear ends. I think I know what I have to do to put these thing to good use. Cheer

Vinh

Here's a pic from Bryan Little's page (the link had changed, found the new one on Zdriver):

411.jpg

shafts.jpg

and here's a quote (from this page: http://www.geocities.com/zgarage2001/engine.html):

the longer passenger-side flange is on the right

This is the page I consulted when I did my swap.

I'll jack up my car this weekend and snap some pictures.

I can tell you that I had an unrelated suspension issue on the passenger side about 4 months ago. I had to put in a new strut cartridge. This required unbolting the isolator and unbolting the CV from the comp. flange. Rather than leave the shaft hanging while I worked, I had to remove it. It was definately circ-clip locked in place, I had to do the whole dual flat pry bar maneuver to get it out. Re-installation was literally a "snap" (as in, the thing snapped in place when I blarnked it back in there).

I did catch a post in the Banter section of zcar.com (not sure why it wasn't in the tech section) about a guy having similar problems with an 86 200sx diff. He was also trying to use the passenger shaft in the driver's side. icon_confused.gif

hmm maybe your having the same problem i had ... pull both driveshafts and see if you can see though it to the other side. if you cant you may have to remove the little aluminum plug thats inside. i had to.... once i did that the shaft slid right in and locked in place!!!!depending on what car the diff came out of depends on if it has spacer in it or not. i bought 13 lsd diffs once and about half of them had teh spacers in them

Stony,

You are right on.. I did removed that piece. The 280Z half shaft now slide all the way in but not the CV from the 280zXT. The longer one still stick out 1/4". The shaft needs to be machined down for it to slide all the way in. BTW the LSD without the "spacer" fits the CVs nicely without a problem and I have that LSD also.