HybridZ

240Z Fender flares

Datsun24072

Ok so i have been thinking about puting fender flares on my car for a while now. I love the way they look but i dont want to trash my fenders. Is there any way you can put the flares on without having to cut them? Just in case, for whatever reason i dont like them anymore or i just want to do something different.

I agree with adding them for the "cosmetic" appeal and not cutting the fenders. Just place them a little lower on the fender than in the thread referenced above - enough to cover the lip of the existing wheel well opening .

You will, however still have to drill 24 holes in your fenders for the fasteners needed to attach the flares. Nutserts work great on the rear fenders. Use nutserts or nuts & bolts on the front fenders. That's easier to patch than a radiused wheel well opening. Just take your time so you get the 24 holes right the first time. It's your Z, have fun with it.

Dennis

What's the point of putting the flares on if you don't run wider tires? Then it just looks dumb. You end with this wide car with skinny rubber under it. Might as well add fake hood vents and a plastic intercooler...

Nigel

'73 240ZT

But then to make them look good you have to get a bit wider tire and then you face the issue of rubbing because your tires will be sticking an inch or two out from the fender.

Exactly... So you either forget about the flares, or accept the fact that if want to do it right, you're going to have to cut the body.

Nigel

'73 240ZT

Hey, where can I get fake hood vents and a plastic intercooler? C'mon, let the guy live the dream.

Just because someone wears a Harvard t-shirt it doesn't mean they went to school there. If adding non-functional flares to a Z gives someone a warm fuzzy feeling, they should do it. Life is short.

Dennis

(The opinion expressed above is that of the writer and in no way is meant to belittle or degrade the opinions of those who read it. Conversely, strong counter opinions mean nothing to this writer.)

So, there you go... flares with skinny tires. If it knocks your socks off, then go for it!

That's mo lie--they came that way in Japan, so it's "ok" as far as the JDM people are concerned.

I did see a VERY nice dark green 240Z with gunmetal color ZG flares at MSA a number of years back. The fenders were never cut. He had a pretty good stance and fairly wide tires that just barely tucked under the fenders, but he DID NOT cut the fenders whatsoever. I asked him if he had any rubbing problems and he said, "No." It can be done and made to look fine, but truly functional is another thing.

Davy

Guest Grenade300
Thank you psdenno

And just to let you all know I did not know there was a benifit to the flares I just thought they where cosmetic so ease up.

It appears you are new to the body work side of Datsuns (no offence). Here is a suggesiton. You may be able to roll your fenders (carefully pulling the metal outward on the wheel well) and then put the ZG flares over the rolled fender. That way you would gain SOME of the function of fender flares and then get the look as well.

I would suggest just cutting your fenders, or having a GOOD body shop do it. Then you could get some wide rims (there is a group buy going on right now for some 17x9.5 rears and 19x9 fronts) that I believe would go great with the ZG flares.

However, it is your car and your decision.

V/R

Scott