HybridZ

T5 Question...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey All,

I just finished the turbo swap on my 72 240Z and first off, WOW! I am overwhelmed by the new found power and the smoothness with which it is delivered!

The bad news is that the 280b trans that I yanked out at the junk yard is just about toast. Rather than replace it with another 280b (which I hear is only so-so with power handling), I would like to upgrade to a T5.

My question is... can anybody refer me to a resource or just plain tell me what kind of cars besides the turbo Z I can get one from. I'm told that the Mustang/Camaro trans may work, but what particular years or models are best suited or to be avoided. Also, I assume that I will need a different bell housing... where can I get one that will bolt to the L6?

Any input will be GREATLY appreciated as I plan on scouring the yards of the Chicago burbs tomorrow and Monday.

Guest Anonymous

Will the Nissan input shaft fit the T5 of a Ford or is the front bearing a different size? Just a thought, but what if you swapped them out?

Regards,

Lone

[ October 28, 2001: Message edited by: lonehdrider ]

Will the Nissan input shaft fit the T5 of a Ford or is the front bearing a different size?

It might if the gearing for first is the same. Second concern is: is the Nissan box a World Class unit? if not the parts probably won't interchange.

Maybe there's a clutchdisc that will fit a ford input and also fit in a Nissan pressureplate, so you could fit a Stang trans after your L28. Then your only concerns are the inputshaft length and bolting the tranny to the bell (I hear an electric drill coming out)..

Ps My project is sorta similar, I'm fitting a Ford T5 behind my chevy 350.

Thure

Guest Anonymous

Thanks alot for the input. I was hoping that it would be as simple as swapping the bell housing, but I guess not. Never is, I guess. As I start pulling more ponies out of the L28, I'll look into the possibility of swapping in the blue ovals and bow ties.

I did learn a cheap lesson, though. The car that I pulled the trans off seemed fairly decent. Not alot of rust, not wrecked, no fire damage. It was probably in there because the drive line was shot.

Well, yesterday I found an 83 in the same yard with the drivers side frame rail rusted through. So, I rolled the dice again. This weekend, I should have it in the car. Hopefully, no more howling and grinding after halloween!! icon_smile.gif