HybridZ

Cold Start Problem 280zx 1980 non turbo

I am trying to figure out what is causing my car to give like a vaccum when I start my car in cold times.

Starting the car is not a problem it starts just fine. But after I start the car and the tempeture is below let's 70 or 75 then it needs to started for a while so that it will not give any vaccum noise when i give gas.

If the tempeture is in 90 or 100 then it is just fine. I can start my car and drive rightaway and no problem.

But if it is below 80 or then I can't just start my car and go. After I start and try to give gas then it give me noise like vaccum and doesn't rev smoothly. If i let the car sit there and warm up after 5 or 10 minutes depending on cold or warm weather it is fine.

Also i get lots of black stuff (carbon i guess) in my muffler and my floor when i give gas to the car.

So any suggestion would help? thanks in advance

ray

• 1 month later...

I bet its your vacuum advance in the distributor.

Remove the cap and turn the rotor to the side by hand. Release it and see if it snaps back smooth and quickly or if the action feels gritty.

Check the hose running from the distributor to the intake manifold. Make sure there are no leaks.

Loosen the two base bolts on the distributor and advance it all the way. Start the car up cold and see if it runs a little better.

I've tried rebuilding one to no avail. Replace the distributor with a used unit that has good advance action.