HybridZ

Performance Difference on NAL26- E88 vs E31

Buma

It's time to rebuild my stock E88 head and (will talk to a mechanic) if it would be cheaper for my to buy a rebuilt on off ebay ~300-400 than to have him do it.

Would there be a noticeable difference on a NA L6 on pump gas?

When I still had the L24 I pulled a bone-head move and damaged my stock E88 head. I found a stock recently refreshed E31 for a good deal so just bolted it on. The L24 was completely stock. I could not feel any difference at all. We all know the E31 has more performance potential, but on the stock motor I couldn't feeel whatever differences there were.

As for paying your mechanic to rebuild your head vs. buying one, if your head isn't trashed and you trust your mechanic, I'd suggest you have him give you an estimate on the rebuild. My guess is that until he tears it apart he won't know if/how many valve guides need replacing which would be the biggest unknown cost. But I'd guess that he could do it for no more than buying one off ebay, and quite possibly for less.

I always prefer to give more business to the local guy to help ensure he's around the next time I need his services as long as there isn't an excessive price penalty.