HybridZ

Questions on wiring accories with an ms2

cholag

I was thinking of posting this in the electrical forum but since I am using an ms2 I thought this one would be more appropriate. But my questions are how would I wire up lights, dash lights, radio, alternator and things like that, I am thinking that I need to take out my entire wiring harness and make a new. I would have one harness for my engine stuff that will hook up into my relay board and a second one going to all my other stuff, but how would I hook it all up and where? Would I just hook everything up to my battery and then put resisters where they need to go? I think I am making this a lot harder then it should be but I have been wrenching my mind around this situation of mine for some time now.

The Megasquirt doesn't really affect the rest of the wiring, only the wiring for its own inputs and outputs. The relay board just needs power, ground, and a switched 12 volt source to turn it on - these are the only connections with the non-EFI wiring. The rest of it doesn't connect to the MS at all.

It sounds like you feel you need to scrap the existing wiring harness and start over. But why do you want to "hook everything up to the battery"? If you are going to bypass the existing harness for some of the accessories, the proper source for +12V is the output of the alternator, not the positive terminal of the battery. If you use the battery as your source, then the load from the accessories will show up on your ammeter as if the battery is being charged.

And make sure you use a proper sized fuse placed close to the alternator. Choose the fuse based on the size of the wire - that's what it's protecting.

zmanco you are right, I do feel the need to scrap the hole harness and start from nothing. Do you guys think this is a good idea, or should I just work with what I have and cut out what I don't need.

Also letitsnow the harness in the s130, is one big peace that hooks to everything in the engine bay.

And I have a small electronics back round, but this is my first time doing anything with car wiring, so thats why I felt the need to hook it all up to the battery. But if I can build a motor, I am sure I can do this!

I agree with Cozy Z Cole, get someone experienced with wiring to help you evaluate it. You could easily make it worse, not to mention reduce the value of the car for resale. If I was looking at a car and the seller told me he had rewired it, I'd likely run away from it unless he could demonstrate that he really knew what he was doing. And even then it would have to be a great deal or something I just had to have. Trouble shooting someone else's wiring mess is just not fun.

Wiring isn't rocket science, but there are only a few right ways, and a whole lot of wrong ways to get it done. And unlike some other skills where people can write a book or give a quick set of instructions in a post like this, wiring doesn't lend itself to that.

sounds like you are a bit confused, read adn reread moby'd writeup, then start reading the megamanual, then read it again, the MS needs one constant hot formt he battery, and one swithed hot signal most likely taken form one of the plugs coming from the chassis wiring to the old engine harness which I assume you have removed, this has no bearing on your accessories, if you don't understand after althat readng you might want to hire someon who has a better grasp of whats going on

• 3 months later...

This is rather late (11.9.08), But the brain ( megasquirt or oem ecu ) is separate from the other functions. So, the other circuits are going to work as usual. If you have looked at the wiring diagrams..or physically seen them...the brain has its own thing. Lots of ground wires (for individual sensors and other functions)..and a dedicated positive feed.