HybridZ

1978 Rear End

jakeoster

Hey guys I own the $100 1975 280z which I am putting an RB25 trans and engine in. I had to order a driveshaft that would fit the two, which I did, and to my surprise the flange didnt fit. After futher research I discovered that someone had installed a rear end from a 1978 Z. I was able to get the driveshaft corrected but I was just curious as to what the possible advantages, if any, there is between the 75' and 78' rear end besides it being "newer". I heard something about the 75' having a vibration? but im not sure if thats true or even related to this subject. thanks in advance!

depending on what transmission you have on the 1975 280z...

you will either have a R180 (automatic) or a R200 (manual) rear end.

There is nothing different about the '75 differential except the mounting flange I believe.. which is '75 specifically. but an R200 is an R200.

The problem you ran into with the flange sounds about right. the '75 diffy is a one off difference with a flange.

The vibration issue may be something internally or a bad u-joint connecting the driveshaft.. but the differential itself does not have any "problems" that were manufactured in 1975~

ohh ok thanks guys, I was just curious if maybe the rear end swap would be in my favor, as in beefer, lighter or something of that sort, but seeing as its all the same and was just to accommodate a transmission swap then ahh well at least its slightly newer :] I cant answer that question because I have never seen the engine or transmission that came out of the car originally, it was sold to me without them.