HybridZ

how much can the r200 take?

Guest 400 ci 280z

i think it all depends on how you drive the car,

ive found all my r200 breakage (mounts, u joints,

mustache bar, center mount, driveshaft bolts)

comes from hard launches, since then i do try to launch so hard, thats my personal experience.

It's all about how you launch.

The weakest point in the driveline is actually the half shaft. And it's not so much "weak" as it is "misaligning". When the Z starts launching harder, the squat becomes more excessive until eventually bottomed out on the stops. When the suspension is bottomed out, the u-joints are at a pretty good angle and do not like to be stressed very much. Can you guess what happens next?

A lot of us have had success running the 280ZXT CV half shafts. The trickiest part is making (or finding) an adapter to fit the Z’s stub axle. Do a search for “CV Conversion” and you should find a bunch on the subject.

As for the durability of the R200 itself… I would venture to say that 600hp is not out of its realm. However, this is with very smooth hole shots. Any “shock” at these HP levels will most likely break the pins or something else inside. Take a look at this web site and you will notice that the 9 second and ten second Z are both running stock R200 rear ends. However, their 60 foot times are only slightly better than the 11 second crowd. I’ve got a feeling that below a 1.5 sixty foot time will quickly disintegrate the gears. Of course, I could stand to be proven wrong icon_biggrin.gif

-Andy

well mine broke and i have an est.300 at the wheels but then i had some hard launches the pin in the rear holding the two little gears snapped so i just welded it.It was worn before the engine and trans was put in so that had a big effect on it snapping.I am just surprised that mine lasted as long as it did.I'm still going to go with a welded R200 rear though they are just much better and the donies are better too icon_smile.gif

Guest Tom Scala

An automatic will extend the life of your driveline many times over,not nearly as fun to drive though. Going back to what Andrew said about half shaft breakage caused by rear end squat, thats' why I'm hesitating on installing lowering springs on the back of my car. The lower body forces the u-joints to operate at an angle they are not designed for. When the car launches and squats you are only compounding the problem. The soft stock springs can lead to wheel hop though which is probably worse. A viscious cyle indeed confused2.gif