HybridZ

Grill Blocking CAI air filter?

datzun240

I hope I put this thread in the right forum.

I decided to relocate my air filter outside of the engine bay as a cold air intake (CAI). I relocated the air filter on the driver side front right next to my front mount intercooler. My only concern is that on my grill (not stock 240Z grill), the area that covers the intake filter is a solid piece instead of having slats or openings to allow air directly to the filter.

Would this have any significant impact on the amount of air that the filter is able to breathe? I have to decide if I should cut open that entire area that is covering up the filter (look a little less nice) or just leave it as is. Any relevant information is welcome. Thanks in advance.

The first picture is showing the typical air filter relocation spot. The second picture is displaying the grill and how the section highlighted in blue is not slotted, but instead solid.

P1000207_thumb.JPG

grill_thumb.jpg

It shouldn't make a noticable difference, leave it as is. One thing to think about though, is that foam filters don't breath nearly as well as cotton gauze(K&N or AFE) cone filters do, especially when dirty.

IMG_0020.jpg

I actually have moved my lisence plate to cover mine up, after this picture was taken, so that it doesn't get dooshed in the rain (western Washington). It still sucks cold air so it didn't make a difference.