HybridZ

About to begin a 71 240z restoration

Found it on craigslist, and im going out to buy it today. The guy has held it for me luckily. It is the one on seattles craigslist right now. I'm not expecting a whole lot for condition wise, but I am expecting a ton of body work in my future. As long as the roof isn't wavy I'll be happy.

She has a l28 with early su's on t right now, but It also comes with a complete fi setup along with a ton of misc stuff including a cracked non ducted spoiler :)

My plans are to basically do sort of a wangan replica with the zg flares, the bre spoiler, non ducted lip and some deep wats in maybe a 92 corvette blue. I havent decided on the exact blue I will use yet though.

I havethe whole month off, I have the rest of this month and some of next month off before I start back up on turbine work in socal, so hopefully I can get her stripped patched and painted by then.

240z-01.jpg

240z-02.jpg

240z-03.jpg

240z-04.jpg

So, I picked her up last night. I'm very happy with the purchase. THe car is much nicer than any of the other cars I have went to look at. Rust isnt very bad from what I have found so far.

Comes with a ton of documentation and goodies. It still has the original radio, keys and ignition. The dash only has one crack, has white interior, and 280z seats purchased back in 87.

The wheels are actually ronals, and it even coems with a spare. In 1982 a previous owner had the car converted to l28 fuel injection.

The car has a decent looking header on it. It's 3 into 1x2 and has a true twin exhaust going all the way back. There doesnt appear to be any h pipe on it. THe documentation says the exhaust was made by Cyclone Automotive Products of north hollywood cali.

The last owner put twin early su's on it, but they must not have realized you cant run carbs with a fuel injected fuel pump, and thats why they wouldnt get it to run right :)

I'll be tossing the fuel injection manifold back on it. I believe the car needs a new mas air sensor as the one it has is partially taken apart.

I also received a vented msa front spoiler, along with a stocker, plus a lot of spare misc stuff.

The guy who did teh conversion paid 1600 bucks for the l28 in 1982 :). The guy was very anal about receiptsm, as I even have gi joes receipts for wd40 and a roll of towls.

Heres a biut more detail on what I got for 500 bucks.

The car is a 1972 240z. It was converted ti a early 280z fuel injection setpu in 1982. It has a n42 l28, some nice looking 3 into 1x2 heades dumping into a divorced twin exhaust without a h pipe. 2 cherry bomb looking resonators, and thats it. The header was deburred according to the pile of receitps and notes I have. The car has steel braided lines all around, poly urethane steering shaft coupler. There is a fire extinguisher mounted behind the passenger side seat o_O autox car possibly? The car also has a allison electronic ignition, platic covers for the headlights, upgraded halogen lights of some sort from back in the day. Bilstien shocks, which probably are shot by now, Ronal super rare and light racing wheels in 14x6 with one spare and 2 wheel caps. It also came with a ton of misc spare dasun poarts, like original oem datsun radiator lines etc.. 280z seats, stock radio, ugly white interior yada yada. It's been repainted once, but the same datsun orange color, and it looks like it was taken down to bare metal for the most part. So far, rust isnt horribly bad, actrually I still think it's quite good compared to most I have looked at. Cant beat it for 500 bucks.

Goals are zg flares wats, either a oem or bre rear spoiler, and the non vented front air dam, which I already have.

So here is my progress so far.

So, been doing a little work the last few days.

When I got it.

1972-240z-08.jpg

1972-240z-03.jpg

Yesterdays progress.

1972-240z-12.jpg

The few hours I worked on it today. mm look at them speed holes in the passenger side floor board lol. So far im real happy with the rust though. I gotta get these god damn wheel locks off though. There is no freaken rust on my hatch at all, I just cant figure out how to get the rubber molding off. Too bad it had louvers originally so there are holes drilled in the damn hatch.

1972-240z-13.jpg

1972-240z-14.jpg

1972-240z-15.jpg