HybridZ

will 240sx starter work on l28?

I search and found nothing, I think the ka trans works on the l28 but I found nothing about the starter, I have 30 bucks to buy one and I found one about 50miles away(a l28 starter). but my local junkyard has a 240sx one for like 12 or so. Just wondering if any one has tried to use one, im going to test fit it in the junkyard on a l28. And maybe hotwire it up to a battery to see if it works... If someone knows they would save me the trouble and I can just buy it.

Also are auto starters and manual starters different. on car-part.com it asked me which one I was looking for so I dont know.

Thanks.

Have you considered trying to take the old one apart to see if it might be "ghetto-rebuildable?" I managed to get another 2 months of service delivering pizzas out of my subaru starter (similar unit) simply by taking it apart, cleanin ght ebrushes, getting two of them to work halfway decently, and one to work marginally, and one was still totally shot.. but it WORKED for a while. Pizza cars get started about 20 times in a night, so that was a GOOD two months of added service. Just a thought to help you through a lean time.

You also may discover that you can replace the problematic part and rebuild your starter properly once you get it apart.. if it is toast now, you have nothing to lose at least. It is a simple machine, and the way it works is obvious when you take it apart; the trickiest part is holding the brushes out of the way to slip the rotor into them.

HTH, good luck

Thanks. but when I got my s30 it had nothing in it, no engine or trans, and I got a whole engine, trans, and radiator from a friend for 100 bucks. the starter he had just need wires soldered back on but he threw it away because he is going to do v8 swap...

im just ordering one from carpart for 35... I think its a older one, its on a 77, and I dont think its a gear reduction, is that bad or not reliable?