HybridZ

s30 might have to go...

Careless

... so if i get a front cross member from a 200ZR RB20 Z31, and the proper engine mounts... and the pan and pickup which I have...

...it should fall right into my Z31 if I push it over the rad support with a friend, right? all I would need is the bell housing too. I'm curious if the dash would work too if I were to do some rewiring of some stuffs.

I figure I'll build up my RB30DE so that it's ready to go should something fail or if I have to say good bye to my S30 due to space and people not taking matters into their own hands when they don't understand the logic of certain situations (cause there is none, and it's utterly stupid) and how to avoid these types of conundrums...

a 300+ some-odd hp N/A Z31 is a rarity at best, anyway.

also... how does one clean an aluminum head inside the exhaust ports. I was considering boiling the head, but I don't have anything large enough to boil it in, and hot enough to make it work unless i get my father's propane burner.

I got the out side of the head pretty much spotless, save for some funky yellow gunk on the intake side in the water jackets... maybe it's just remnance of the green coolant in the mother-land?.

annnnnd... i got mad detonation marks in cylinder 2 from the front. horrible horrible detonation marks on the quench pads. I may just end up grinding them out, but then I will lose displacement because of the amount i will have to have machined off the head to bring my compression back into spec.

pics to come later. so far, everything is in good condition... just trying to piece together a set of springs and whatnot... I should probably start my own thread soon.

Yea, you could go that way. Without a turbo on the exhaust side, you will have plenty of clearance in a Z31. You may have to drop the engine mounts a little further to get the taller 30 deck height into the engine bay. That and a lower CG. I originally designed my crossmember with intentions of the rb30 lower end going into it. If you can find a cheap N/A crossmember, it is very easy to modify to bolt a RB up to. I am pretty sure I could come up with a N/A crossmember for you for really cheap.

But please save your S30! You have had it sooooo long!

Yea, you could go that way. Without a turbo on the exhaust side, you will have plenty of clearance in a Z31. You may have to drop the engine mounts a little further to get the taller 30 deck height into the engine bay. That and a lower CG. I originally designed my crossmember with intentions of the rb30 lower end going into it. If you can find a cheap N/A crossmember, it is very easy to modify to bolt a RB up to. I am pretty sure I could come up with a N/A crossmember for you for really cheap.

But please save your S30! You have had it sooooo long!

so the N/A cross members are the same as the 200ZR's? Ideally i'd like to convert some s14 coils for the front, and possibly use my S14 subframe that I have left over from the s30 build (in the event that it must go), so I can see how to fit up some S14 rear subframe stuff.

hmmmmm

Raff

so the N/A cross members are the same as the 200ZR's? Ideally i'd like to convert some s14 coils for the front, and possibly use my S14 subframe that I have left over from the s30 build (in the event that it must go), so I can see how to fit up some S14 rear subframe stuff.

hmmmmm

Raff

The 200zr cross members are completely different than the N/A cross member. I looked for a 200zr cross member/engine brackets for nearly a year before finding out that it was too expensive to get one. The cross member usually sells for close to 600 usd, then you have to source a set of 200zr engine brackets. (unique to the 200zr) I couldn't even find a set of those. None are left from the dealers either.

For front coil overs, look into serial nine adapters. They are made for a cressida, but they work on the Z31 also. Here is the link to an s14 suspension swap into a z31... http://www.ziptied.com/forums/index.php?topic=6734.0

yeah, i kinda don't want it to go, but if it has to, I'll end up getting another 280z down the road.

for now I'll work on the engine and the z31. I'll leave out the trumpets and the exhaust manifold for the RB30DE engine, and I'll build it up to spec. I think I'm going to have to grind down my head quite a bit or get the detonation marks welded in via TIG professionally.

At that point, I might have to get new pistons if I decide to grind out the quench pads, and then I'll contact endyne for a set of roller waves that will give me like... 12:1 or something.

Who knows!

I'm glad I didn't put all my eggs in that basket, cause if anything I just stripped parts from it, and I guess I'll pull the engine before I send the car off to someone who will give me like 200 bucks, or send it to the scrappers as a bare shell. It's really only worth anything if someone has the quarter panels that I do. But those I can sell for more than I bought them for here in Ontario =)

Then again, I may just hold onto them and move them to the basement since they're in my father's recovery room right now. Doesn't look good beside the TV and the Bed. LOL.

Q, I have a 76 280z. I like the tails and the interior of the 280z a little better, and the rear strut towers facilitate S13/14 IRS integration a lot better than the earlier shallow strut towers, from what I've read. It would be an upgrade I desire if I were to start working on this car again.

Dayz... two reasons... 1. space... and 2. it's just a project I've not had time to work on this summer due to my z31 needing immediate attention, as well as my father being in recovery (doing well, if anyone is wondering!). I also have been working long hours in order to obtain money for my photography gear and my upcoming laptop so that I may work from home or on the road, in the backyard with a case of cold wobbley-pops or at a friend's house instead of staying cooped up here in my room which I rent. The garage was never part of the deal, it was just one of those things...

I guess we all hit this point in stagnant projects, and it's a move that I have no decision in... IF it's what the landlord says, it is what it will be.

In a way, seeing as it's going, I'm glad I've not put parts on it that cost me money. I can either save them for the re-birth of the project, sell them for more than I bought them for cause they're at my parents place (for which I have no room for another car), or keep them as spares if I do indeed get a car with good quarters and whatnot.

The engine I have bought and put a lot of money in parts into will be built, regardless of what happens. I am really into building this engine more than I thought I would be, and it's something I will take my time with to get it done right.

I don't really think that the S30 chassis is of any use to anyone though... it's pretty bad, but that's why I kept it... I wanted to try new things on this car.

OH WELL! we'll see how it goes.