HybridZ

240z 280z steering shaft comparison length

Although the 240 through 280 z have the same length steering rod from the frabric universal (hocky puck) to the rack universal. There are some differences that may help make for cleaner subaru rack swaps. Take a look at this photo:

240z_steering_rod.jpg

Note the differences: the 240 rod (on the top) is thicker, it is longer, and it shares the same spline count and pitch. The "T" shaped piece that attaches the rod to the fabric universal is much shorter on the 240 than on the 280. The effective ength of the rod can be shortened or lengthened by about an inch in either direction simply by swapping the rod or the T piece. There is additional adjustment available by milling out the slot across the splines to allow the collar with the bolt to slide up and down the splines. Note that the 240 milled point is narrow.. slightly wider that the collar bolt. The 280 is already milled with a modicum of additional adjustibility.

Now how does this help the subaru rack swappers? When I measure the trunnion of the subaru rack universal, it is very close to both the 240 and 280 z, raising the posibility that the datsun steering shaft yoke might mate to the subaru trunnion creating a hybrid universal joint...subaru to connect to the subaru rack and datsun to finish the connection.

I have read, I think on this site, that someone has mated the two. So, does anyone have any information: has anyone actually mated the two?

g