HybridZ

Gas Conversion on Lincoln 135?

I currently have a 110v Lincoln 135 mig welded. It is currently setup gasless with flux core wire. It works OK for some things, but I just can't get nice clean beads with it repeatedly. If I stop and start again I have to clean the surface as the flux core leave behind the slag to protect the molten weld.

I priced out converting the welder over to gas, and its about $275-$290 for cylinder, regulator and a spool of wire. Do you guys think it is worthwhile for me to spend the money on this little mig welder?

Justin

Nope, I'd look for a whole used setup.

This is the one I picked up:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=132038

I just got my tank last week. I managed to get the tank for $25 in a #2 size at the fleamarket. Went to TSS and for $20 I can switch to their brand and get it refilled.

I spent $46 total for the exchange and gas, and of course, they had no #2 size tanks in stock. The guy had no clue what he was doing, and he told me to take what ever I wanted. I didn't want to be greedy and get a #4, so I got a #3 instead!

I bought a 40 cu ft cylinder on ebay for under $100 shipped from Indiana Oxygen Co a few years ago. You can exchange it locally for the fill, at the price of gas. For the regulator - I'm surprised you can't find one used somewhere. Just to be sure, the rest of your machine is set up to MIG?

Edit - regulator

http://cgi.ebay.com/HOBART-WELD-IT-BY-SMITH-MIG-ARGON-CO2-WELDING-REGULATOR_W0QQitemZ250283353481QQihZ015QQcategoryZ67055QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

cylinder

http://cgi.ebay.com/40CF-WELDING-CYLINDER-NITROGEN-ARGON-ARG-CO2-HELIUM_W0QQitemZ370077744347QQihZ024QQcategoryZ11774QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If any of you are about to buy cylinders, keep this in mind... pricing on cylinders new and used is going up, and not by a little, either. If you come across a deal... take it NOW! My "street" price for new cylinders just increased by about 40%... For instance, an Oxy Acetylene cylinder pair with #3 Acetylene and 125 cubic foot Oxy now goes a little over $600! The price of steel and fuel both is causing this... and it will only get worse.

I would religiously shop for a used unit, and sell your flux core welder to a beginner. If you are buying a new regulator, that Hobart (Smith/ITW/Miller) is a decent unit, and that is a great price... but get a receipt, I have been seeing some failures on them lately, especially as packaged with MIG welders. Esab and Profax regulators can be had for $20 to $35 as well... but are fragile.

the price of the gas conversion alone is about $150 with regulator, solenoid and cable liner for a weld pak 100, I think it is the same for the 135, but I'm not positive.

The price of the bottle is what it is. Be careful about buying a used one since to fill it some places require a bottle certification. I bought mines a while back for about 80 bucks, it about 3 1/2 feet tall and just do a tank exchange every time I need more gas ($40). The downside is I have to do exchanges with the same company. In my case, this isn't a problems since they are within a mile of my house.