HybridZ

Crank Angle Sensor Idea

Nismo280zEd

I was just thinking... The Z and the 240sx have the same size flywheel, same thickness, same bolt pattern, etc. Only difference between the two is a reference pin in the 240sx flywheel for orientation purposes. They share the same clutch size, etc. So I was thinking, 95-98 240sx use a sensor mounted on top of the transmission (called crank angle sensor) to time the car. I'm wondering, if you swapped the flywheel from a 95-98 240 and drilled a hole in the z transmission for the sensor, couldn't you use this for a trigger for MS?

yes the ka24de motor specifically 95-98 chassis. I looked it up in the manual, crank shaft position sensor, sense the height changes from low to high in teeth creating a magnetic field. The sensor is magnetic. the manual says it's mainly for diagnostic use in detecting misfire, which i don't really understand.

However, I know for a fact that if this sensor is damaged or unplugged, the car will not run. I'll have to see if somebody has a spare KA flywheel lying around to see if there are magnets in it or something or a shorter tooth, or missing tooth.

-Ed

yes the ka24de motor specifically 95-98 chassis. I looked it up in the manual, crank shaft position sensor, sense the height changes from low to high in teeth creating a magnetic field. The sensor is magnetic. the manual says it's mainly for diagnostic use in detecting misfire, which i don't really understand.

However, I know for a fact that if this sensor is damaged or unplugged, the car will not run. I'll have to see if somebody has a spare KA flywheel lying around to see if there are magnets in it or something or a shorter tooth, or missing tooth.

-Ed

It sounds as if the flywheel sensor may be accurate enough to detect very short term changes in rotational speed (misfires) but isn't accurate enough to be used as a crank position sensor, then.

sounds like the "crankshaft position sensor" is acting more like a speed sensor then.

I know most 240's use the optics on the dizzy, but this would be a really cool setup if i could get this to work, then it could be transfered over to the Z without having to modify the harmonic balancer.