HybridZ

SIGh k time to find somehting that will live under the beast

Guest Anonymous

Why dont you make a set of custom axles like the vette owners do. It seems to be the only solution. I know one that have fitted a bmw 750i rearend on his 500 hp toyota previa. He has custom axles which are proven to 1400 nm = 1029 ft/lbs. The price was around 800$ for both of them.

The R230 is plenty strong and you can have mega-buck$ custom axles made, BUT, you are still left with a major weakpoint. The stub axles. There is a 86 300ZXT here in Orlando that got down into the hi-9s running the stock 300ZXT IRS. He broke a lot of CVs but even more stub axles. He finally gave up and went to a 9" and now runs 9.40s. I am putting you at about 650hp/torque and there is only so much you can expect from the OEM components, be it Nissan, Supra, BMW.

BTW, I broke a CV at the line and made a hard left turn towards the christmas tree icon_eek.gif . Do not even want to think about it happening at speed.

just a couple questions? have you talked to these people.

http://www.markwilliams.com/

they will custom make ANYTHING YOU WANT and YES they ARE EXPENSIVE but they do excellent work!

or these people

http://www.artmorrison.com/

they have a 9"ford supercar rear houseing you you might use?

and yes your correct that having a dana 60 or a 9" ford axle will "SCREEM SPEED" but if I was turning 9s @150mph I would be alot more concerned with not haveing things break an keeping my butt safe than what people thought about my rear suspension mods. and having run very low 10s I can tell you anyone who is putting up big $$$$ to run against you already knows your not stupid enough to run a stock car against them and figures you have done extensive mods.and if your car sits low to the ground and everything under the car is painted flat black there very little they can see other than you have a non-stock rear end and anyone running for big bucks with slicks is already assumed to have done those mods,.

I have asked the previa owner about his axles. Its made of 4 driveshafts so its looking like corvette axles. But most racecar owners would know something is wrong then they see a 3" thick driveaxle with adapters instead of the oem ones so you might as well do the 9" conversion. The idle of your car and the n2o bottle probably reveals it all anyway.

Guest Anonymous

I do not think i would ever break a stub axle with the launches I do if the half shafts would live i will only see probly 1.43 60 foots.. add to that i have a automatic that leaves soft on foot brake instead of a hard hitting standard or a transbrake..

Its the suden shock that kills the stubs.

I think they can take a HUGE load if you are talking about just shear tourqe and not a hard sudden shock..

Yes the exhaust the nos etc give it away .. but no matter how roudy the car sounds no one ever exspects 9s esp with the independant rear the lowest i seen anyone guess was one guy was all thats probly a ten second car man dont take him lightly .. hehe I took his money icon_wink.gif

Looks like a r-230 with cvs is the only solution for a independ rear BUT then i will also need to figure a stronger way to mount it

cause the mounts i have seen others make would not survive the stress esp on the front where they bolt to the sheetmetal tabs that the straps used to be on..

halfshafts have to have a slideing joint in them because the tired comes closer to the center houseing as the car squats on a Z the tire swings in a arc not a straight line so makeign a half shaft is no easy proposition..

Jim Biondo got afraid that the stubs (280Z variety) might break and re-engineered the car leaving the stock suspension, R200 LSD, 280ZXT CV shafts, etc.

What he did was take C3 (I believe) Corvette aftermarket BILLET stub axles and bearings and

had bearing spacer rings made up to fit them into the 240Z strut housings. He used an aftermarket version of the C3 Vette companion flange and a simple adapter for the CV shafts.

Of course, the R200 or more likely, the CV shafts would be the next weak link...

But if I were turning 9s, I'd just put a solid diff in it. I understand wanting to keep the IRS though.

Guest Anonymous

I know I KNOW I KNOW belive me I know im told every day by my chassis shop TOSS the indep put a solid axle 12 bolt or nine inch with ladder bars and the car may go a 9.0 ..

I JUSt REFUSE to do that.. i love to put the hurt down on some tubed out race car and then drive away in my little streeet car on my little bitty streeet tires ..

besides I honestly get MORE races when they look under the car at the rear then for any other reason ..

8( Im just praying i can find something stronger .. the CV axles i honestly believe to be weeker then the standard half shaft if you controll rear end squat and raise the dif to keep the u joints fairly straight..

The r-230 looks great but man ill spend 1500 at least buying one makeing half shafts and putting it in..

a simple stronger Ujoint/halfshaft that could bolt in would fix my woes.. 8(

MY goal is 9.40s with a indep rear ..

I should be able to do it I made a pass the other day I left ON the motor ran first gear pure motor pulled second early and sprayed second gear then shifted to third where I had to let off the nos because I had it far to fat and the car was spitting and poping like all hell and slower then it is normaly on the motor and i ran a 10.08 at 118 coasting the last 200 feet and through the traps in nuetral

Guest Anonymous

I will have som video up end of this month of some mid nine second passes hopefully . right now all I have is some 10.20 passes i made on a small shot to shake down the car.