HybridZ

83 S130 RestoThread

Guest GTZX

This thread is going to be dedicated to my restoration of my 1983 Datsun 280zx.

I purchased this car in 5/2007 & drove it regularly until 10/2007. On july 4th while working (i drove pizza) it was pouring rain and I smashed into a wall @ 40mph; Somehow I luckily timed everything right (i was hydroplaning, bad tires! bad!) because I wasn't going to stop. I was a week away from getting new rubber, and well, this is what happens I guess. SO, i slam the wall, bend my frame. Now I have a disfigured Z. Months go by until it begins to get driven again after 10/2007.

License was suspended on a b.s. charge which was quickly mulled over & I still had to pay to restore my license. Sigh.

Needless to say, God, does not want me to have this car. Though, By damned i will have it!

So, I got a new door and a new fender so the car looks more like a normal car instead of a smashed up one. You can only really tell because the hood doesn't fit right that it was in an accident, drove fine even still.

I'm going to be getting my frame fixed; I have a few ideas how I'm going to . . . Redneck Power this baby back to life.

Right now my situation is bleak. My car overheated the other day due to a busted coolant hose; now my car idles at 500rpms, and there seems to be a slight amt of oil noticeably leaked out of my . . . Spark plug? %#@!

Found out it'll cost me around only $200 to get my cyl head re-beautified at a local shoppe, woot! I plan on using the Ford 2.9L valve seals that i've been reading about on here.

My list of goals:

1) Pull motor out, while out remove cyl head and take to shoppe to be fixed while fixing the frame.

2) Fix Frame. My plan is to remove the engine, and cut the frame on the far passenger side where the Radiator sits w/ a plasma cutter or saw... whichever is accessible at the time. Un"pinch" the frame weld 2 small steel bars long wise to the affected areas. Join the frames together as closely as possible to original, weld spot cut.

3) Check pistons & seals. Clean up as necessary.

4) Sell somethin to get money for a new hood.... yaaaaaaaay new hood... also need to get another mounting bracket and those weird bar things that go across it...

Probably this is were things will begin to get interesting...

5) Will have customer intake manifold & 60mm TB placed on w/ blower attached; like a good "like new" vortec or procharger centrifugal style.

6) MSD ignition

7) Mega Squirt / 440cc F-INJ..

8) find R200

I'll post some pictures once it clears up outside (it's raining) of the car.

I've also thought about just doing the valve job myself to save some money, but i'm inexperienced at valve jobs. I understand some standard things like, put a plastic tube on end of valve so it doesnt fall in, etc... if one plans on doing it while motor still in of course...

Anyone have any mild stories they can express how they're valve jobs go? I'm curious to see how hard it is. Assuming I'm buying new valves vs. getting them 3pt angle cut @ the shoppe...

I've adjusted the valve clearances before and that went smoothly; a lot easier then it seemed on paper. So... I guess that's why i'm wondering if it's easier than it seems on paper to put in new springs and all that jazz. I'm mechanically inclined and good with my hands. . . :wc: