HybridZ

1982 280zx non-turbo - slowest car ever - need help making it faster

dat1gai

Hello HybridZ members,

I recently bought a 1982 Datsun 280zx Non-Turbo Coupe. It's a decent car and I'ev been working on restoring a lot of it and it's almost complete after many hours and burning lots of holes in my wallet (ouch).

Now for the next step! I want to make this car run a lot faster! It feels very slow right now, possibily the slowest car in the world! I don't have much knowledge and experience on these Datsun Z cars at all. What are some ways to get this car to run 13s to 14s in the 1/4 mile and still have high reliability.

It would be nice if I could just safely slap a turbo kit on it with minor upgrades. Is there a possibility for that? If so, what upgrades should be added to get the car turbo ready?

Also, are there very much difference between the turbo and non turbo engines and transmissions? If so, what are the main differences?

Thanks! And sorry for the dumb questions!

Wow.....I guess thats one way to handle it....run??? :willy_nil

But most members on HybridZ would take a different approach. They would look for the parts and do the swap. This swap has been done thousands of times with great sucess....its an easy swap!...and relatively inexpensive.

Use the resources available on this forum and you will be surprised how well you will do and how much fun you will have with your project.

Go for it!

thanks for the help! greatly appreciate it! just wish i would have know all this before i got the NA 280zx. guess i could try to make the car look a little better then sell it. :o(

Hey!!!!.... you cant suck at life if you picked up a nice looking ZX like that. You must be doing a lot of things right!

May I suggest you keep the car and start saving your sheckles for a conversion. Nothing comes for free! Money is important but your blood sweat and tears what makes the difference.

V8 are a plenty! and can be had very cheap! Just plan plan and plan.

Enjoy the car...save for the engine you want and do the swap yourself. There is nothing like that great feeling you will get when you take it out the first time knowing youve done it yourself!

You can count on the Hybridz members to share their knowledge and guide you right!

its very easy to swap on a turbo just get a zxt exhaust manifold and turbo. You can adjust the fuel with the air flowmeter.I am going to do the exact same thing in a lil bit.[/quote

It will not run right' date= or even close to it, trust me, I learned the hard way, if you get zxt electronics it will work.[/quote]

you do not need the zxt electronics to turbo the car I know because i have done it myself and the car ran a little rich but it ran good. I would rather it run rich than lean. That is a nice lookin car i'd keep it and get the turbo manifold and turbo. I ran 10psi on the stock n/a motor and eletronics with no problems by adjusting the afm for more fuel. I have messed with these engines for along time and messed with turbos just as long. Beleive what you want but the best way to learn is to try.

i sure hope you are right! if that is the case then you've just made my day. because i can look around for turbo manifolds and a stock turbo and fuel injectors. i rather it run rich than lean as well.

what do you think JerryB? will the car run well without the turbo electronics?

if i had a second car for a daily driver i'd definately try it, unfortunately this is my daily driver and only vehicle.

i just got done turboharging my 2.2l sonoma and the stock computer handles it no problem and it has a map sensor. I did put on a fuel management unit to up the fuel pressure but it doesnt help much.

If you get the zxt fuel injectors it will help too but it will run good on stock injs. I ran with the stock na electronics for along time and it started and ran great. If you not going to do this for a lil bit i will be doing mine very soon and u can see for your self.

im just as baffled as u that is why i asked i know that the zx ecu handles the timing too as where the z has a stand alone ignition on the pass side of the car. im guessing that there are differences in the tuning between the two years, i will post my results good or bad since i have everything to turbo the car already and it wont cost anything to try again.