HybridZ

zxt electronics into s30 crank angle sensor question

MJLamberson

I am about to rewire my turbo 280z to run off an 83zxt ECU, Most of the process sounds easy enough and I am familiar with the wiring harness and have done plenty of searching.

Right now my only question is this: On the 83 wiring harness there is a connection for the Crank angle sensor, I was told on the 83s that this sensor was in the distributor, now on my engine I am useing the distributor off my 77, Am I going to need to put in a 83 distributor or can I buy and put the sensor in what I have now?

I dont really understand this one area of the conversion so ANY info or pics of said sensor would be wonderful. Thanks again guys.

-Michael

The '82-83 turbo distributors use an Optical cam angle sensor, while the n/a's are induction.

The turbo ECU will be expecting a digital signal, not an analog. The optical sensor uses the "chopper wheel" which will output a square wave signal (digital = on, off, on, off). The n/a will be a sinusoidal-waveform (analog, like an ocean wave = rising, falling, rising, falling).

I'm pretty sure you'd need a ZXT distributor if it is '82-83 turbo ECU (or the '81 crank damper & CAS if the turbo ECU is an '81).

Hope this helps MJ...

Well there goes another 250$...

Not necessarily, you may be able to find a ZXT distributor & ignitor for from someone on here for less than that.

Maybe I will run out to the pick n pull, would a NA 83zx one work?
The n/a uses an E12-80 ignition module, but the turbo has a different one located next to the coil. Make sure you have one of those too.

I figure a crank angle sensor is a crank angle sensor right?
Yeah, just like a piston is a piston and and an ECU is an ECU. :bonk:

Seriously...you don't have much further to go now!:icon54: