HybridZ

i got a t56 on the way, now i need some help

warrenp

biohzrd is right. The LS1 based ('98 and newer) T56 won't work. You need/want one from an LT1 based ('93 to '97) Camaro/Firebird. I had the same problem. No one that I could find manufactures an adaptor for it.

I was able to get the guy I was buying my T56 from to swap it out for a '97 model. He told me that the later ones might work after the input shaft and a few other parts on the newer tranny is swapped with the older parts. Sorry, no good news here.

My understanding is that you have to use the bellhousing that came with a '93 to '97 T56. It will bolt up to the older 2-piece rear main small block, but you will have to use a special flywheel (Centerforce makes one) to adapt the newer clutch to the older style block.

I bought a '97 T56, but haven't collected all of the other parts so, I'm not speaking from experience... yet.

I'm in the process of hooking a '98 t56 to a '94 LT1. It will require either an 1/2 inch adapter or shortening the input shaft by 1/2 inch. I should have more info by the end of the week after a few more measurements and a conversation with a machine shop. bonk.gif

The bellhousing is different for the LS1. The top hole in the bellhousing does not line up with a hole in the block and the top right hole on the block gets skipped since there is no hole in the bellhousing. This should not be a problem. icon_smile.gif

With any luck I'll have a solution for this issue soon. 2thumbs.gif

Hope that helps.

-VRJoe

Guest Anonymous

Yes, the T56 has a unique bellhousing, its very shallow for one thing, the throwout bearing is sandwiched in the clutch disk and pulls to disengage instead of push like most diaphram clutches. Its a odd arangement, surprised me when I first saw it.

Regards,

Lone

Lone, you're right for the 94-97 T56 bellhousings. The 98+ T56 uses a hyd. throwout bearing, so the bellhousing has two holes in it for the hyd. line to enter and the bleed line to exit. Makes it real easy to tell them apart. This is why I'm adapting the 98+ T56. In both cases the bellhousing is unique to the T56 it is for.

-VRJoe

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the correction I didn't know they used a Hyd t-out bearing in 98 on's.. Good to know, and yeah that would be cool not having the slave hanging off it like the earlier models. Probably make exhaust a little easier on that side by my calculations. icon_biggrin.gif

Regards,

Lone

Lone, You're welcome, consider it a partial payback on some of the good advice you've posted. I know I learned from it. I can answer these questions about the T56 because I'm right in the middle of it all. I'm going to find a way to use a '98 T56 with an LT1, I've got access to some great machine people with everything up to a Wire EDM (Hee-Hee). I think me and the bellhousing are going to wander over the for coffee on Monday flamedevil.gif

-VRJoe

VRjoe, what type of machine work are we talking about the trans that is comming for me is 98+, so i will require all the info u can shoot out to me.

a friend of mine owns a small machine shop. so he maybe or may not be able to help? that depends on what kind of work we are looking at? is thare any way, i can just use an other bellhousing? wouldn't that just be esier? or nothing else will bolt up? b_hand.gif

Warrenp, the bellhousing is specific to the T56, and the 98+ T56 is set up for the hyd. throwout bearing. When a 98+ T56 is hooked up to a LT1 the input shaft is 1/2 inch too long. What needs to be done is a 1/2 inch spacer needs to be placed between the bellhousing and the trans face. The folks I'm going to talk to have the capability of putting this part into production, so I'll let you know. This setup is based on using a 97 Corvette flywheel/clutch/pressure plate combination.

Your friend should be able to make the adapter for you, it's just a question of cost. I'll be able to estimate the cost for the adapter after I meet with them this week. I'll let you know as soon as I have a price.

-VRJoe

Warren, I'd pass on the 98+ T56 if I were you and look for a 94-97. The conversion is looking quite complex and I'm not hearing good things about the GM hyd. throwout setup :mad: . I may have a line on a rebuilt 96 :D , if you're interested let me know and I'll check on it for you. I'm going to swap the 98 for a 96. There seems to be a few T56s on ebay right now also.

-VRJoe

I have looked at their ad and remember reading an article in DRIVE! magazine. It is apparently a two-piece bellhowsing that allows you to run the stock clutch, etc. I have not priced it out...yet. Wish they had a website!

Davy