HybridZ

R32 GTR conversion to 240z

mrp69

hey guys

i wanted to know if i purchased a whole R32 GTR could you convert the whole running gear and motor from the GTR to fit a 240z meaning you would have active 4WD?? and be able to switch to rear will drive??

has this been done if so where can i find a read up??

and what sort of $$ would i be looking at in labour to do this?

cause i can get a car fairly cheap running but cant be registered so parts are useable.

by the way im Australia

peter

modify_inline.gif

You can make a 240z 4wd but it places the engine really far to the front and its not a very sensible thing to do. You have to mount the radiator on the other side of the core support and theres no clearance for a fan or anything like that. It also majorly throws off the balance of the car seeing as youll have more weight on the front end. I personally would not reccomend doing this because after all the work and money you put in you get a "half ass" result which is really not worth the 4wd in my opinion.

any idea on how to install the running gear??

and are there any write ups on this

peter

NO the links above are as far as i know the only GTR conversion that has ever been completed.

What application are you looking for ( drag, road race...) If your looking for a drag car application modifying the Z with a solid rear axle, is your best bet for going fast. there are a couple guys including myself well into the 9s and 8s running a solid axle.

th_labordaycompilation.jpg

I will let Ripz post his videos if he wants.

So lets sum this up. one one car ever modified, no one here on hybridz has done it, you are only going to get speculation on what it will be like to do it, SOOOO just do it and let us know how it goes. OR move on to another project.

hey guys

i wanted to know if i purchased a whole R32 GTR could you convert the whole running gear and motor from the GTR to fit a 240z meaning you would have active 4WD?? and be able to switch to rear will drive??

has this been done if so where can i find a read up??

and what sort of $$ would i be looking at in labour to do this?

cause i can get a car fairly cheap running but cant be registered so parts are useable.

by the way im Australia

peter

Yep some mob in Japan (Komy) did it way back around 2002:

http://www.komycars.jp/

http://www.komycars.jp/drag/z/z.html

There was a magazine article about it, but its all in Japanese.