HybridZ

Using 280zxt cv shafts, diff, and *companion flanges* (without MM adapters)

Zeerari

http://alteredz.com/240ZCVHalfshaftConversion.htm

I think I just read every post in the drivetrain forum and I only found a couple references to binding issues when using the whole 280zxt setup including the companion flanges. Can this swap really work?

I have an 83 turbo parts car and I'm trying to get my 74 back on the road without investing much money into the drivetrain. I know the early 260z stubs are weaker and the 280zxt shafts aren't ideal either but I have them so that is why I am considering the swap above. I want to find a beefier LSD setup later so for now I really don't want to pump money into something I will upgrade in 6 months anyway.

Long story short... my car sits pretty high compared to most so am I less likely to have CV binding? I can always just try it but if I'm completely wasting my time then I might not bother. Whatcha think?:shock:

• 2 months later...

Hey Just Wanted To Pass On Some Info Ive Dug Up Im Wanting To Do The Same Conversion.these Are Facts I Know.1st The Compressed Length On 280zxt Shafts Appears To Be Right At 15 Inches On Both Left And Right Shaft This Is Based Upon Two I Pulled Off Of A 280zxt With 97,000 Miles I Feal Like They Are Original Due To Mileage On Car.i Pulled Up A Spec Sheet From One Of 78 Z1t1 Post And It Reads Measuring From Same Points On Shaft 16.12 Left Inches To 16.59 Right Inches For A Z31 300zxt Vg30et And 16.02 Left To 16.46 Right For Non Turbo Z31 Shaft Which Are The Same Spline Wise To 280zxt Shafts.so With This Data You Could Conclude That The 280zxt Shafts Are Roughly 1 Inch Shorter Than Z31 300zx Non Turbo As Well As Turbo Shafts Left And 1 1/2 Shorter On The Right.also When You Look At My 280zxt Shafts One Appeares To Be Maybe An Inch Longer But Compressed Its The Same As Other Side 15 Inches.i Hope This Data Helps You It Seems To Me That If Mm Companion Flanges Are Not At Least 2 Inches Shorter Than Standard 280zxt Companion Flanges I Dont Know How They Could Be Considerd To Be Less Prone To Binding..... Thats All I Know Keep Me Updated On Anything You Find Out Good Luck Phil

I decided to take the easy but more expensive route and have some adapters made. These are fully bolt-on so no fussing with the annoying axle nuts! $200 at my local machine shop... well spent, in my opinion! Drawing is attached. I rotated the holes 18 degrees for optimum spacing. This gives about 3x the metal between the two holes that are very close together. Don't worry, it looks funny but it's all still balanced.

I used M8x1.25 socket head cap screws and lock washers on the CV side and special M10x1.5 x 15mm GM torque converter bolts from the Help! section at O'reilly on the wheel side. They were the only bolts I could find that could fit into the companion flange. These worked in a pinch but a stud would be better because it could thread deeper and still allow everything to go together. Oh well, it still works and I haven't exactly been nice to this thing since I added boooost :ass:

KodakC813248.jpg

KodakC813235.jpg

Datsun S30 turbo CV axle adapter Rev B.pdf

I'd have to make $100 a set to make it worth my time and I doubt folks are willing to spend $300 on 280zxt axle adapters since MM sells some for $225 and even at that price other axle options start to look good. If there was enough interest then maybe Ross at MM could make something like this since it appears this is essentially what his adapters are just with the companion flange bolted on instead of welded. The welded solution avoids one potential failure point (the 4 bolts) but in my opinion it's not worth having to deal with that axle nut and sending the flanges through customs.

No binding as far as I can tell. I have the axles just as they were pulled out of the zx.