HybridZ

Voltage regulator keeps getting fried

dschock

I posted about this in another thread, but I have narrowed the problem down further. I am having a problem with my voltage regulator in my '71 240z. I have gone through 2 of them in the last month because they melt inside after i drive for a bit with the headlights on. I don't want to install yet another because it will most likely burn out as well. Has anyone else had this problem and know of a quick way to fix it? I have checked all the grounding spots I could find and cleaned them up already.

Thanks

BurnoutZ,

My alternator is good, I had it tested at the parts store. But the 280zx alternator is a good idea. Does it mount right in with the same connectors? And once I install it, what should I do about the voltage regulator I already have, eave it plugged in?

Check out www.atlanticz.ca for the conversion. I have one ready to install (had it in my '77). If interested, PM me. You may want to check your ground and power primary cables they could have worn through to each other and you regulator is playing hell trying to keep them ~14V apart. Look up their fusible link upgrade and consider replacing your primary power and ground wires.

EDIT: I saw your other thread where you battery won't hold a charge. That only reinforces the worn shielding theory. Your juice is literally bleeding straight from power to ground and discharging your battery.

Check out www.atlanticz.ca for the conversion. I have one ready to install (had it in my '77). If interested, PM me. You may want to check your ground and power primary cables they could have worn through to each other and you regulator is playing hell trying to keep them ~14V apart. Look up their fusible link upgrade and consider replacing your primary power and ground wires.

EDIT: I saw your other thread where you battery won't hold a charge. That only reinforces the worn shielding theory. Your juice is literally bleeding straight from power to ground and discharging your battery.

The ground and power primary cables, are they the ones on the regulator? Or battery or what? I also just drove 250 miles and the car held up, but it was during the day. I grounded the voltage regulator housing before I left. I wonder if it fixed the problem, or if I can't tell until night time when I use headlights.

The ground and power primary cables, are they the ones on the regulator? Or battery or what? I also just drove 250 miles and the car held up, but it was during the day. I grounded the voltage regulator housing before I left. I wonder if it fixed the problem, or if I can't tell until night time when I use headlights.

I am talking about the primary wires that runs from the alternator to the battery, from the starter to the battery and from the battery to the fuse panels, etc. Look up that link I gave you and you'll see some pics.

On my car they run along top of the passenger frame rail in the engine bay. That's where mine wore through to each other.

Well, I checked for shorts and grounding problems, and thought I had solved it because I was able to drive for a few days. Then, as soon as I turned on my headlights it died again. I am about to do the zx alternator upgrade, but how do I know the internal regulator won't do the same thing? The worst part is I can't tell if it is working unless I try it and see if it burns out again, and that's costing me a lot of money.