HybridZ

using Subaru R160 LSD rear in 240Z Turbo

Im wondering if anyone has tried to fit the R160 subaru LSD rear to Z car Drive Axels? I have heard it works in a 510. I am having no luck finding the R200 300ZX Turbo rears.

Some folks here have had R200 LSD rears for sale in the past so post a wanted ad. I'd also suggest posting over on the ZCar.com site. The R160 supposedly works but hell folks break 180s so I'm NOT sure a 160 will hold the power. An R230 might be an option but probbaly too expensive and heavy for your app (shrug).

Who's got a spare LSD rear guys?

i think that rear works well in a four cyl 510 because it came with the r160, now if a r180 is not recommended for a modified z car, i cant see that the r160 would be any better, it might be worse. r200 or r230 swap is plenty strong, actually and r200 is pretty tough enough, break that and go to the next level, since the r200 bolts in and r230 doesnt, you may not even need

to go the latter.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

HAY HAY I just saw your talk on lsd's I buoght a mild to strong 280 injected auto crosser with a sub r160 that has taken a lot of ROAD NOT DRAG RACEING and is still good and there cheep!!!!!!!!!!! THING ABOUT IT coollook.gif

The R160 would bolt in fine as it's a bolt in replacement for an R180. It's stronger than an R180 as has been proven by some dimers and some simple internal design differences (I don't recall specifics, but enough to know it IS stronger, the ring gear size is NOT the limiting factor with that diff). I have NO idea how it would tolerate higher power levels beyond the mod'd VG30 setups it tolerates fine in the 510's.

Comparing R160s and R180s gets difficult because both were offered with either two or four pinion diffs. The four pinion R160 is much more common than the four pinion R180. Remember: four pinions in the diff are stronger than two pinions in the diff.

The R180 got a bad rap because most folks put a lot of power into the two pinion variety. A R180 with four pinions (or a Nissan Comp, Quaife, or Torsen LSD) is pretty strong. I plan on pushing 300hp and 250ft.lbs. though mine.

BTW... I learned the other day that the whole R100 through R230 series is designed and manufactured by Hitachi for Nissan, Subaru, and others.