HybridZ

My new xenon air dam.

nbesheer

Okay I got a new air dam installed it's a xenon and the fit is pretty good. But the finish is kinda scuffed up, I was wondering if there is anyway to get an even finish on the rubber and just leave it raw with no paint, or if that is even a good idea. the paper that came with it said to read the paint prep section but did not include it. either way I don't want it painted because I've seen my budys and it looks great with no paint.

Well first off the air dam is probably urethane not rubber. If you wanted to keep it the black color you might want to paint it black and after lightly sanding away the scuffs. It seems like if you just sanded away the scuffs, the sanded parts might not come out the same color as you intended. Now someone correct me if I'm wrong as I have not done this myself.

Ben

Rustoleum makes an ultra-flat camouflage paint that is designed to stick to a variety of surfaces.

I have used it with success on both the xenon urethane air dam and front bumper on my 240z

I roughed up the air dam with 220, because the PO of the dam had just rattlecanned some ghetto black paint on there. It was cracking something fierce.

For the bumper, I removed the cracked, terrible looking rubber outer strips and MIG'ed the holes shut. I ground the weld smooth and hit the whole thing with a wire wheel to get it clean. Then I used a hammer and dolly set to get the little dings close to flat. I skimmed it with bondo and sanded it smooth.

Not show quality, but it looks good 4 months later, parked outside uncovered

Alright well either the heat didn't work or it wasn't hot enough. I slapped some Mothers Back to Black on it and it looks good enough for JCCS. and it will buy me time to figure it out what to do after wards. Although I am going to put an aluminum brace up that goes from the bottom of the radiator to the bottom of the lip opening. that should work well. I'll post pictures up when I retrieve my camera.