HybridZ

240z/280z problem/questions

mehas240z

Hello guys,

First off I would like to say hello and that I am happy to be the owner of a 240z. I look forward to all the info you guys can hopefully provide me with.

So here is my surprise problem. Actually not so much of a problem really, just throw a big monkey wrench in my initial plans for the car.

I have just bought a Datsun 240z, 12/71 vin date. vin plate # matches the dash and engine bay stamp numbers. No problem there. So I am sitting on my bed thinking about the car and I realize the engine bay plate has been slightly sprayed over. So, at 930 pm, I go outside with my light and open the hood.

Turns out I have an E88 head on an L28 block.(EDIT it is an N24)

I had done all my research on what to do with an L24 etc. Not an L28. My biggest question right now is...what is the difference in distributor/ignition systems on the L24 and L28 engines.

I was going to get the Pertronix ignition kit. But not anymore as I see isn't listed for the 280z.

Would it still work...any suggestion what I should get instead, now that I Have an L28?

Thank you guys in advance,

-Brian!

Hello,

I searched. I could not get the actual differences between the two. I got that the 280 had an electronic ignition etc. But I could not determine if the one on my car was infact a 240 or 280. I got it now though, from another site. Regardless of that though I will still post here.

Going to be ordering the ignition kit for the 240.

First of all, be happy that your 240 has an L28 in it. You have a more powerful motor in a lighter car. Now, you need to look for other things that may be different. Rear differential? Transmission? I'm going to guess that it has carbs on it, but keep in mind, L28's came with fuel injection. Most likely they used a 240's distributor in your car, because the 280's dizzy required an external transistor ignition box. (My 280 has this, it is faulty, and I will be tearing it out and replacing the dizzy with one from a 240 as well as an aftermarket ignition system).

Check under the cap. I'd bet you've got a points distributor on your car. Another option is to use a 280ZX distributor with an e12-80 or e12-93 module. There are plenty of sites that show exactly how to wire one of those in as long as you don't mind googling.