HybridZ

No start....sigh

ratedZ

ALOHA guys! It's been a while and wanted to say hello to everyone :)

I also have a problem with my z and needed some help. My z seems to be having some electrical or starter issue...she is a 1983 turbo. I barely drove the Z for the past year and a half or so because I lived in the country where the road to my place was not paved. I have moved to a new place where the roads are paved so I wanted to get the Z back to a driveable state. Prior to moving the car, I did some much needed clean up under the engine bay and tuned it up with some fresh parts. I was actually pretty happy as she always started with no problems...until the day I actually moved the car. So I drive it from the old place to the new house which was about a 25 mile drive. Other than the hesitation that I was experiencing (the damn connectors to the ecu needs to be changed now), everything seemed to be somewhat ok. But when I got it to the house, things changed. I was backing her up when I lost pressure on the clutch and couldn't get it out of reverse (leak on the clutch line :( aargh). She basically bucked and died...after that I tried to start her up but I didn't get a response from the starter. Since then, I have searched the web and basically points to a few things. A: a bad starter (not sure if this is the prob as it whirrrs when I jump it with a screw driver) B: the ignition on the console (checked and it seems ok) or C: Fuses (check and all ok) or a bad wire somewhere... I cleaned all the connectors and grounds (engine bay and interior) and sanded all of them clean and sprayed with electrical cleaner prior to the move. Spent some time tinkering with wires again today and I checked the voltage on the battery and it reads a little over 12 volts and reads a little lower at the starter (11.5volts). Maybe the + and - wire from the battery to starter needs to be replaced? All I hear is the clicking of the relays in the engine bay and the fuel pump when I try to turn it over. As you can see, I'm pretty much at a loss here. I'm looking at taking the dash out and tracing the wires and making sure that the wires look ok but really didn't want to do that if I don't have to. If someone could chime in as to where I should look next that would be great. It's gotten to a point where I entertained the idea of selling it (or pushing it off of Mauna Kea) as I've been kind of on the edge lately :(