HybridZ

Young new Z owner! Where to start?

nosetackle63

Hey everybody,

So ever sence I was a small child I wanted a Z. Now that Im 16 I finally had enough money to buy one. I picked up a 1983 280ZX Turbo. It's the model with T-Tops, 5spd tranny, and basically the works. It's cosmetic appearance isnt the best, but dang does this thing fly.

Is there anything I should put money into before I go and blow it on some subs and an amp???

How are the hoses, those are always good to replace? and may I recommend a boost controller?

I dont think it would hurt too much for some new hoses, and I would rather have an intercooler before i start messing with the boost too much!

But, the intercooler is gonna have to wait for some time because Id rather buy one new and they aint cheap!!

I dont think it would hurt too much for some new hoses, and I would rather have an intercooler before i start messing with the boost too much!

But, the intercooler is gonna have to wait for some time because Id rather buy one new and they aint cheap!!

He means coolant hoses that run from the engine to the radiator and back.

serx93, Im loving the signature, and yeah the belts do look a bit worn. Where could I pick some new ones up at? Just like Schucks or something?

thanks, those are a few of my babies. I would think Schucks or any autoparts store would be able to get you what you need without too much trouble.

Yeah, I thought so. My fuel lines look a little older too. And It is running a 240sx throttle body, should I replace it with a NOS one?

Not sure about that, but there are plenty of people on here with a ton of knowledge that can help you out with that. Congrats on the car, you are going to love it.

Well. Honesty I wouldnt go blow your money on subs (even if you really want them, to sound "cool") but Id start by making the car safe. As mentioned getting belts, hoses, fuel lines, etc. Get it running good and driving safely. Look into the brakes and suspension to make sure everything is intact and safe. You might have to repace some things which all cost money, something you wont have if you blow it on subs.

Owning and maintaining a car at 16 isnt easy or cheap (I know) dont go buying a bunch of subs for a car that has the potential of at some point not wanting to turn, stop, or go.

Well. Honesty I wouldnt go blow your money on subs (even if you really want them, to sound "cool") but Id start by making the car safe. As mentioned getting belts, hoses, fuel lines, etc. Get it running good and driving safely. Look into the brakes and suspension to make sure everything is intact and safe. You might have to repace some things which all cost money, something you wont have if you blow it on subs.

Owning and maintaining a car at 16 isnt easy or cheap (I know) dont go buying a bunch of subs for a car that has the potential of at some point not wanting to turn, stop, or go.

The car sounds mostly drivable to me, and he obviously knows to make it safer first, thats why he posted this thread... Nothing wrong with some subs if you like your music...

The car sounds mostly drivable to me, and he obviously knows to make it safer first, thats why he posted this thread... Nothing wrong with some subs if you like your music...

Yeah, I've had the car for about 3 months now and so far the only problem was a crappy $35 walmart battery. Now running an Optima Yellow top :).

I have taken it across the state to Ellensburg to visit CWU and she did alright!! The clutch is responsive, the brakes are fine, steering is spot on, and besides turbo-lag the accel. is just fine!! I would like to possibly get some more power (without higher boost), so i can race my buddy in his N/A Z32.

Well ok seems to be in good condition but Id still go over the suspension and check everything....

Yeah that wouldnt hurt at all. The guy who sold it to me lowered it 2in, and I've noticed alot of things on the car were done halfway. Such as painting without masking and covering any glass, lights, ect.

So I agree a good look through wouldnt do any damage!

Getting the gator belts will quite up the belt system alot. Also converting to electric fan will quite things up more and make it sound better.

I always told my brother, new car, new fuilds. Radiator fuild, break fuild, tranny fuild, power stearing fuild, rear end fuild. Replace with the finest avalible, won't have to do that again for a long time after that.

Dont be suprised when you ad up the prices and labor for the parts/fluids woldson mentioned.

Im doing all replacement of belts and fluids in my auto tech class at school. My teacher is pretty darn good with engines. We have most tools needed, and not only will I learn how to do it for the future but it will also save me some money!!