HybridZ

Silly q - VB921/BIP373 required for 2.2 PCB EDIS?

proxlamus©

I have been reading the megamanual a few times but I couldn't find a definite answer...

with MS1/extra and 2.2 PCB board.. and EDIS 6 ignition... do I need the VB921/BIP373 coil driver?

None of the EDIS wiring 2.2 PCB board specify if I need it!!

EDIT - this might of answered my question

EDIS is a particularly easy way to replace distributor ignitions when retrofitting older engines with a modern computer programmable ignition, but we now recommend directly driving the coil packs from the MS ECU using the VB921 FET's. This does away with the EDIS module, so all thats needed is the 36-1 wheel, a VR sensor and the coil packs

So if I run the EDIS module I do not need the VB921/BIP373..

I can have MS ECU control the coils using VB921/BIP373 by throwing out the EDIS 6 module and using just the coil packs and VR?

Nope, there is no support internally for the VB921 in the v2.2 mainboard. The VB921 is the coil driver, and EDIS has them built into the EDIS module itself. So all you need is an EDIS module, coil pack, VR sensor, and a MS v2.2 running extra code.

Pete

• 1 month later...
Guest scared0o0rabbit
I have been reading the megamanual a few times but I couldn't find a definite answer...

with MS1/extra and 2.2 PCB board.. and EDIS 6 ignition... do I need the VB921/BIP373 coil driver?

None of the EDIS wiring 2.2 PCB board specify if I need it!!

EDIT - this might of answered my question

So if I run the EDIS module I do not need the VB921/BIP373..

I can have MS ECU control the coils using VB921/BIP373 by throwing out the EDIS 6 module and using just the coil packs and VR?

Well, this is one of the things I've just been struggling with.

I've got a 2.2 board also and had been planning on running MS1/Extra also.

From the reading I've done it sounds like these are the changes I need to make to run EDIS on the 2.2 board:

Remove D5, D8, and R10

Remove XG1 to XG2 jumper

Fit Wire between XG1 and right of D5

Fit 1K resistor to D8

Fit a link between the bottom of R10 and the banded side of D9

then also:

Add 750R resistor from (-) of D17 to the right of R23

Run a length of wire from D17 (-) to X11

Then I just wire the module up per the instructions here?

http://www.msextra.com/manuals/MS_Extra_Ignition_Hardware_Manual.htm#edis

It sounds almost too easy, or am I missing something here? The directions on the manual say that they don't recommend using the EDIS module anymore, but it sounds like that's the easiest thing to do with the 2.2 board, do the instructions listed above (from the link above) correspond to using an EDIS module since there's no easy way to use the FETs with the 2.2 board?