HybridZ

z32 transmission in s30

mtnickel

Hi guys. Just wanted some input on the shifter linkage of the z32 trans in the s30.

I know some of you are cutting the linkage, but to me this seems like it's putting the geometry out of whack. I take it the shifter works by a) twisting the rod, and B) pushing or pulling it.

With the factory length rod, the twisting at the end of the long rod doesn't move the angles out that much, but with a short rod it surely does (since the bottom of the shift stick move laterally a decent bit.

Perhaps it's a non-issue, i don't know.

How do you guys like your shifter action (for those that have modified yours)?

I am thinking about doing something like this...

DSC03368.jpg

That rod you see going back is just a pivot point...no idea why he made it so long. I was going to do something similar but pivoted off the top of the trans somewhere.

The more i think about it, the more i want to do it this way.

The hardest part will be finding good bushings that support the shift stick (like the one shown above).

My pivot rod will be considerably shorter (6" or so) and such the bushing/eyelet will need to have decent lateral flexibility...it certainly can't be solid mounted.

My only other option was to try and track down a z31t trans or a 3.0l V6 hardbody 2wd, or 2wd pathfinder trans. These are very close in size to the rb25 trans (and shifter location). The hard part is finding a good condition low miled one. Good condition z32 trans are easy to come by since many JDM importers bring them in...2wd/hardbody pathfinders, not so much.

Why not just get a RB25 transmission? With the Z32 and other transmissions there will be extra work involved to make the bellhousing work. Cost should be close at the end. And the RB25 tranny will save you time.

The thing is, cost is not close.

I can get an Rb25/rb26 bell housing for about $100

Z32 trans = about $400 for low miles and NA (not beat on).

Comparatively, Rb25s are very hard to come by and pricing is usually 800-1000 here.

Also, swapping in another z32 trans if need be (heaven forbid) would be pretty easy too.

I like fabricating stuff, so i think it'll be fine. Just gotta find those eyelet end things.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...