HybridZ

Curious about 283 Hybrids

There doesn't seem to be alot of posts about 283/327 based hybrid Zs, so I'm wondering how may guys here actually have one, and what sort of performance you get. If I had it to do over I'd probably go with a built 283 versus the LS1. I'm thinking it would be alot cheaper and easier to go old school...

I happen to have a 327 in my car but only because I had a 1965 327 Corvette motor sitting in my garage that was left over from a Corvette project. It's a blueprinted 365 HP 327 SBC that has 64cc Trick Flow 23 degree aluminum heads, 1.5:1 aluminum roller rockers, new (but stock) 365HP solid lifter cam, .030 over 10.5:1 forged pistons and ceramic coated Hooker "Block Hugger" headers. It breaths through a Tri-power setup that has 3 Rochester 2 bbl. carburetors sitting on a vintage single plane Corvette Offenhauser manifold and out through a dual exhaust that uses two 31†stainless steel glass packs with “Ansa†dual tipped outlets in the back. To save weight there is a Summit gear drive starter and aluminum water pump plus a Chevy 16lb. nodular iron flywheel with a Hayes competition clutch. I have never had it on the dyno but it is probably in the 400 HP range.

More of a wind up motor than the usual torque motor but the Z is so light at ~2,500 pounds and, mated to a Camaro WC T-5, it makes for a decent performer.

If the old Vette motor wasn't hanging around I probably would have opted for a 350/377/383 GM crate motor. http://paceperformance.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=132

236622_12_full.jpg

I'm doing a 250 GTO rebody so I liked the idea of a higher reving engine. I contemplated a 283 for quite a while but wound up going 327 (put a forged large journal 327 crank in a 4 bolt 350 block). The car has not been completed yet so I don't have performance numbers but as SpeedRacer mentioned, as light as these cars are, it should be fun.

If I had it to do over I'd probably go with a built 283 versus the LS1. I'm thinking it would be alot cheaper and easier to go old school...

That's funny you said that because I think just the opposite. If I had it to do over again I would go with an LS1, for smoothness and drivability. Wanna swap a carbed or fuel injected 388 sbc with Dart pro1 heads? You can keep the stick and I would keep my 2004r. Dimensionally the small blocks are identical on the outside, except you would run a short water pump instead of a tall one.

What are you trying to accomplish?

SpeedRacer... that is one clean engine bay!

GetZ......My build is all done, an LS1. I was just thinking that a 283 based car would be real popular but it doesn't seem to be that way. Maybe some day I'll get motovated to do another car and then try a different path.

Thanks SSflyer!

I removed all the unnecessary stuff: brackets, hold down tabs, plumbing and any other items that weren't needed in the engine compartment. Then I filled in all the holes and spot welds before painting. Since I rewired the car I ran the wiring through black plastic looms that are sitting on top of the frame rails.

Here is what it looks like today.

236622_13_full.jpg

I did my engine bay the same way. It looks so much cleaner without all the spot weld dimples and wiring hanging all over the place. One of my happiest memories of doing my car is sitting on the crossmember in the engine bay, in my underwear, in a closed garage, in Phoenix on a 110degree summer day, sweating like a field hand, sanding the bondo off the shock towers. Ahhhhhh, the memories!

I did my engine bay the same way. It looks so much cleaner without all the spot weld dimples and wiring hanging all over the place. One of my happiest memories of doing my car is sitting on the crossmember in the engine bay, in my underwear, in a closed garage, in Phoenix on a 110degree summer day, sweating like a field hand, sanding the bondo off the shock towers. Ahhhhhh, the memories!

That's why I punched a hole in the side of my garage and mounted a wall A/c unit. I couldn't even stay in the garage long enough to think about what I wanted to do next without soaking in sweat, but those days are over until next year!

Try sanding down fiberglass bondo in your underwear. I dare ya!