HybridZ

Does This Sounds Like A Dying Walbro Fuel Pump?

slownrusty

Guys - I installed a Walbro 255lph High Pressure (GSL-392) in my car ('83 ZXT) about 5years ago. Of those 5 years the last 2 years, the car sat in my garage as I rebuilt the engine. The fuel pump has less than 5,000 miles on it.

So I completed my engine rebuild recently (as most of you know), and 2 weeks ago the car ran incredible lots of power and took it for a great 20mile drive no problems.

Fast forward to yesterday, went to drive the car and it starts perfectly and idles great! It will even rev all through the rpm band *ONLY* in neutral, however when I put the car in gear and start to drive right at about 2,500rpms the car falls F-L-A-T on its face...no matter the gear, its like there is a chain on the back bumper connected to a Mack Truck going the other way.

If I let off the throttle the car will idle fine and rev fine, but under load, I just cannot get it to rev past 2500rpms... Fuel filter is clean and I am running an Aeromotive FPR which is working as it jumps about 5psi in fuel pressure when I pull the vacuum line off it.

Really weird and scratching my head on this one.

Do you think its a problem with my Walbro?

Thanks!

Regards- Yasin

Hi Yasin,

I don't know if this is the cause of the issue, but I couldn't get above ~4500 RPM due to a clogged Catylitic converter. I doubt that is your problem.

You have an SDS or megasquirt? I know the OEM EFI would throw a fit at ~3500 rpms if all the ECU, etc. connections are not clean.

I wish I could help some more...perhaps more experts will chime in.:confused:

Well last night I jerry rigged a fuel pressure gauge and taped it to my windshield and will take it for a drive this morning and see what it does under load - x-fingers.

Hugh - I am only running a downpipe off the back of the turbo no exhaust. I also running stock OEM EFI at low boost for the initial break-in and doubletriple checked all my connections.

I will report back later this morning.

Thanks

Regards - Yasin