HybridZ

R200 Carrier Bearings

A. G. Olphart

Adding more clutch discs to my LSD has morphed into something else.

After pulling the carrier bearing caps, it was evident that one outer race has spun, and the other cap is shiny where the race rides, like a rod when the bearing has walked a little in the bore. (Both caps were tight, but who knows if someone before me has swapped them).

Is this common with R200s, and if so, what can be done?

I cant feel anything with a fingernail on the shiny cap, but a nail catches on the one that spun. It isn't bad, and I'm thinking of sanding some off the cap's mating surface to tighten things up. (Wet or dry on a sheet of flat safety glass).

Gears are great, no trash in the case, no pits in the bearings. Sure do want to make it work.

<>

I've heard of guys using green loctite to prevent a bearing from spinning on the carrier (not Datsun). Haven't heard of the race spinning before this. Obviously taking some off the cap means the hole won't be round anymore, but if it's just a thou or two, maybe that won't be enough to matter (?).

I've heard of guys using green loctite to prevent a bearing from spinning on the carrier (not Datsun). Haven't heard of the race spinning before this. Obviously taking some off the cap means the hole won't be round anymore, but if it's just a thou or two, maybe that won't be enough to matter (?).

Thanks Jon.

It's just another "Why me?" thing. Guess I'll continue as planned and add a little Locktite. The damage is fairly light, so some judicious sanding seems to be in order. (With luck and micrometers, it may work).:?

<>