HybridZ

turn signal switch(i searched)

gjc5500

so my signals stopped working on my 73 240z today, and Ive searched on Google and here to find a solution. after coming up empty handed, i messed with the switch, which created a new problem. my signals still down work, but when i apply the brake, the right side signal indicator turns on, along with the front marker light. so i was thinking that i was gonna bypass the brakeswitch strait to the tail lights, and maybe run a 3 way switch for the signals. the only thing i havent figured out is how to wire it. from what i understand, i would run the white(flasher) wire as the Hot to the switch, then the white/red and gree/red would go as one side. and the white/black and the green/black for the other. im planing on running a duel filiment bulb in the rear to make up for the shared light. does this seem like it would work? if not, what would i have to do? i cannot afford a new switch.

The switch is fairly simple and you should be able to diagnose it just my looking at it and checking the resistences between the wires when you move it back and forth. Check out the electrical schematics in a shop manual that will help too.

Before you start hacking wires I would highly suggest just get a new switch (you can get one for cheap used, like 20 bucks I just bought a couple, im sure they are even cheaper at a pull apart).

Here is the switch pin out:

Combination switch:

6 Pin connector:

R/L - To Wiper motor

Y/B - To Wiper motor

L/R - To wiper motor

W/G - To wiper motor

G/L - Parking light power (supply)

G/W - To parking lights (switch)

Single Bullets:

R - To black bullet connector on dimmer (Dimmer Power)

W/R - Main headlight power.

L/W - Wiper Power

B, B - Grounds

Turn Signal/ Dimmer:

6 pin connector w/ 5 wires:

G/Y - Brake Power from brake switch

W/B - LR Turn signal & Brake

W/R - RR Turn signal & Brake

G/R - LF Turn signal

G/B - R/F Turn signal

3 Pin connector:

R/B - Horn relay ground (signal)

R/Y - To low beam

R/W - To High beam

To ghetto rig the switch take your three way switch and connect it to the signal supply power (I forget which one it is since im not with my notes but its one of the bullets) and then tap into the turn signals. ONe wire to the front t/s and one to the back t/s on each side. Then tap your brake power into the rear Turn signal wires further down (towards your lights) from your t/s tap. Here is where the tricky part is; you need to install a diode between the brake signal and the turn signals taps. This will prevent the brake power from traveling back to your front turn signals.....

Before you do all this though makes sure you check the resistence in the switch make sure thats where the problem is first. Then check all the wires they are simple to check with an ohm meter, check for high resistence or a short to ground and make sure they are going to the right place!

i pulled the switch apart today and it was almost solid with corrosion. cleaned it. started to work only on the rear right. messed with it some more. one of the tabs on the rocker portion was cracked, and broke completly off when i was reassembling the switch. untill i can get to PnP im thinking about just using a 3way switch and putting it in the column. as for the tail lights. im thinking about making the "tail light" the turn signal, and putting a dual filiment bulb in the upper section for a tail light and brake light.

That what you said before and I told you how to wire it so it works like factory and its much easier, you wont have to do anything but tap into the wires on the colum with wire taps then you can pull them off and put a piece of tape over it with the new switch.......all you need a 2 dollar pack of diodes and a 2 dollar toggle switch. But then again your not even required to use turn signals by law so I wouldnt even worry about it till I had my new switch. just run your brake light signal straight to the rear turn signals (at the colum via the pinout i posted above) and leave it at that. hell you could just make a jumper wire in the connector to get he brakes to function right and now have to cut anything...