HybridZ

What is R200 mount supposed to look like on 76'?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hey guys. my car is a 1976 datsun 280z mostly stock right now. For a while i have had a bizzare rear end clunk when i let off the gas sharply in a low rpm. It is a 5spd manual transmission+overdrive. Specs say that this year car comes with r200 if tranny is not automatic. I looked under and differential is mounted on top of this ugly welded thing(about 6-7 steel plates in a stack). what is the mount supposed to look like? What could be the noise source? Is the upper strap supposed to be tight? If not mount or srap what else should i check... thanks

you're looking at a balancing plate that weighs about 15 lbs. It's attached on the bottom of the front rear diff crossmember. mounted on top of the front reardiff crossmember is (if you're looking from the bottom) is a metal case that looks like a U from the side, and it's filled with rubber. When the rubber breaks or tears, your differential clunks every time it twists from the rotational force. Because there's no mount properly securing it and dampening the shock.

solution is to get a new mount. they're 50-60 bucks from MSA, i think

Guest Anonymous

1-800-633-6331 for MOTORSPORT AUTO (MSA) and 1-800-255-0088 for Victoria British LTD for free catalogs for The DATSUNS VICTORIA BRITISH and MSA have some great detailed and exploded diagrams to identify Datsun parts