HybridZ

Broken hydraulic line

Azdyl05

Hello,

Sorry for asking a stupid rookie question, but while replacing my master clutch cylinder and disconnecting the hydraulic line, the tube kinked and the end-fitting broke off. Is there a cheap easy way to fix this or does the entire line have to be replaced?

dsc00961ff3.jpg

By azdyl05, shot with DSC-P200 at 2008-10-23

dsc00963in4.jpg

By azdyl05, shot with DSC-P200 at 2008-10-23

I'm reluctantly selling the car ('71 240Z) due to finances, so I don't really want to put more money into it just to turn around and sell it. I'll be posting a for-sale ad in the classifieds section. If anybody wants to buy it as-is without me replacing the cylinder, please let me know ASAP because I need money badly!

Thanks!

You need to change the line or put a fitting but that would be as much work and as much $.

Dismantle the line, Go to your autozone, buy a line of the same size, rent the flaring tool as well as the "bending tool", make a line and reinstall it. It should cost you 10$. Bleed the brakes, and you are set. Make sure you get the same fittings.

If I have to replace the whole line, can I get a flexible line, or is it neccessary to go rigid and bend it to match the stock line?

Thanks!

Go ridgid and replace the entire line. The correct line is 3/16" with Japanese line nuts, the tube will be marked Japanese. Just about all parts houses will stock AGS brand lines. The length is 8" 12" 20" 30" 40" 51" 60" and 72" the part number will be BLJ-308 (8") BLJ-312 (12") BLJ-320 (20") up to the 72" line. The nut is 10mm X 1.0 threaded to the end. You should not need to flare the line since one of these sizes will be close. The cost will be less than $10.00 and you will find it easy. Just take your old one out and match the bends with the new line. It is actually easier to bend if you are wearing a pair of work gloves.

Or find one in a junkyard. I lived in Phoenix until earlier this year, and found plenty of S30 chassis lounging around pick-n-pull type yards. Another option would be to give a call to Z Car Source, as they are in the Phoenix area and would readily have that part available.