HybridZ

horsepower and stock 4 lugs

I think we are hitting the tires pretty hard 1.32 60' times, no secret 698hp with the old setup ,4500 stall (only 2500 against the brakes),1.82 glide no transbrake, and 3.54 gear.The car weights 2925 with me in it.Jerry

Jerry,

I know you guys are running slicks but did you try the drag radials or ET streets and couldn't get traction? What rpm do you cross at and what size tire? I got the turbo to spool faster and hold more boost (I can hold 7 pounds on the street without the ebrake now and only holding 6 at the track with the e-brake) and I think I'm going to run into problems other than not being legal for the nines. They haven't said anything to me about certs. yet so we'll see. They'll probably shut me down if I put up a high 9.60 or low 9.70. I'm shooting for 145 in the 1/4 this spring. I only want one good pass and then I'll turn to boost back.

Thanks for your information,

Dustin

Hey Braap,

We really do not put power to the rear tires any gently than others do. We have tried leaving on a retard box to help with wheel stands. We do use a front motor plate and also a rear motor plate that keeps the torque from twisting the drive train to much and also use a 2 speed glide with a 1.82 1st no transbrake and a 4500 convertor. Also Jerry has done his home work on the rear suspension as far as making sure the half shafts are straight / level when under full power, and we are using Modern Motor Sports conversion to CV axels. PS: the photo and our old HP numbers were from my old setup. The new setup has alot more torque and HP. Just have not been able to get a full run because of the car trying to flip over.

Just some more info, trying to be helpful.....

John

It is how, (more accurately, how abruptly), the power is applied to the tires plays a HUGE role in the busted parts we see. It is quite obvious that JnJ is putting that power to the tires a bit more gently than others that have busted parts using less sticky street tires and half the torque/HP JnJ is producing.

Jerry,

I know you guys are running slicks but did you try the drag radials or ET streets and couldn't get traction? What rpm do you cross at and what size tire? I got the turbo to spool faster and hold more boost (I can hold 7 pounds on the street without the ebrake now and only holding 6 at the track with the e-brake) and I think I'm going to run into problems other than not being legal for the nines. They haven't said anything to me about certs. yet so we'll see. They'll probably shut me down if I put up a high 9.60 or low 9.70. I'm shooting for 145 in the 1/4 this spring. I only want one good pass and then I'll turn to boost back.

Thanks for your information,

Dustin

Dustin, we did try MT Drag radials, 275/60/15 with out much luck. The supercharger builds boost as soon as the rpm's start going up. I want to try some MT et streets in the future. IMO I think the Drag radials will work better with a turbo set up, which is why you see more turbo cars in the Drag radial class (NMRA) I have a friend Chris Tuten that raced this class for several year and won a Championship in this class. One of the Great things about turbos is you can bring in the boost when you want it. I have been working on a TT setup for our car and hope to try it out in 2009. If you go to our website we have videos of us trying the Drag radials. jnjdragracing.com . Jerry

Guest Gr8White
I hope not because I have 4 lugs. haha. As many v-8 z's there are no reportings of that yet? Or mustangs?

I'm still running 4 lugs on my Stang, 750 rwhp and 1.3X short times, 150 mph trap speeds and never had an issue. I have broken about everything up to the studs however! It is important to note that these are not stock- I do have Moser 31 spline race axles and they come with good studs. This is probably not a good comparison since the Mustang is a solid axle design. My point is that I believe you are going to break something upstream well before the 4 lug design is compromised. You simply don't see this, even in Mustangs (axles being the weak link). If there is enough torque remaining at the wheel studs to break them you've got one bad hombre...I'd be more inclined at that point to worrying about my wheelie bar settings!

Dustin, we did try MT Drag radials, 275/60/15 with out much luck. The supercharger builds boost as soon as the rpm's start going up. I want to try some MT et streets in the future. IMO I think the Drag radials will work better with a turbo set up, which is why you see more turbo cars in the Drag radial class (NMRA) I have a friend Chris Tuten that raced this class for several year and won a Championship in this class. One of the Great things about turbos is you can bring in the boost when you want it. I have been working on a TT setup for our car and hope to try it out in 2009. If you go to our website we have videos of us trying the Drag radials. jnjdragracing.com . Jerry

Yea, I've heard several guys say that the radials don't like the initial shock like leaving off a brake or a big shot of nitrous but they do work well on turbos like you said. For some reason I thought you tested the ET streets in that video. What rpm do you guys cross at? I have a 26" radials and 3.54 gears and cross around 7000 at 141. I'm building a new 388 sbc and getting a turbo upgrade and I don't think the zx is going to get this engine because I don't want to rev over 7500 crossing. Been thinking about getting a lock up converter or trying to squeeze a 28" radial but I don't think a bigger tire would look good. I just need something with similar setup (gearing and tire)to reference too as I'm in the research and development stage again.

On another note thanks for the help from posting info on your suspension. I think I got it tuned in well. I have alot of front suspension travel and putt some rubber stops in the rear. I haven't spun yet and amazingly the front wheels seen some daylight only leaving at 6 pounds. I think you'll really like your turbo setup. I love my turbo setup right now. They have so much potential! Will you be using efi or carb?

Thanks,

Dustin