HybridZ

timing gears as opposed to chain?

Guest dnm

came accross a site that offered a timing gear set rather then the stock chain, but have since been unable to find again. does anyone have info for such a manufacturer/retailer? and pros/cons to such a conversion? I have a basically stock '81 280ZX i found for a fantastic price and as i learn more about the line i am really falling in love with em. but i would like to build up the engine soon and from what i know of american muscle cars gears can be much more precise. any and all info/perspectives greatly appreciated.:D

smokescrren was jus lookin at your post lol. hella nice job. i paid 600 for mine but it sat in the vegas sun for 6 yr.s. it was towed home on a flat trailer but with a fuel pump replacement she fired right up and ran like a banshee. that was 3 mo.s ago now and have since been doin basic engine upkeep mostly as well as reading everything i come across about the Z line. should i happ across the sight again you'll be first on my list to send to.

5 biker uncles tought me all about american muscle never dreamed i'd be interested in a foriegn model.:D

Disclaimer: I am going on hearsay and what I have read with the following comment... so please prove me wrong.

From what I understand there are no "timing gear sets" for the L series engines and the reason is because of the distance between the crank shaft and the cam shaft, this distance is much greater than in a V8 and does not have the width needed to place the idler gears required for a gear set.

Now this I know: There is an idler gear set that can be purchased for the L series engines that replaces the tensioner shoe with an idler gear and the plastic/metal giudes with idler gears, this system requires manualy setting the timing chain tension and therefore frequent testing and resetting but it reduces (to a small degree) parasitic drag in the engine and it allows more accurate timing with a higher red line when used in conjunction with upgraded ignition etc. etc. In a nut shell what I am saying is that if your engine is not built to an extreame degree (balanced, blue printed and full of forged parts $$$) this idler gear set is nothing more than a "cool" part that requires extra maintenance and attention.

Dragonfly

The dynamics of the L series and how they interfere with the timing gear set up make sense and as for me, I am running nothing but stock so fancy "cool" parts are not for me:). Thanks for the clarification Dragonfly.

Yeah DNM,

I totally got a suprise when this car fired up. Obviously 170k ain't nuthin to a Z!! I came from muscle but I sold it all when gas prices went astronomical.... Now I own a true coupe, no back seat and plenty of potential.

ty much dragonfly saves a bunch of time i would have wasted researching something unworthy. time better spent on more realistic improvements, again thanks a bunch for takin the time to help.