HybridZ

Rebuilding a tranny

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My TH-350 needs a rebuild. If I can find an overdrive tranny for a good price, I'll probably just do that. But, I live in Alaska and some people here are crazy and want a way too much money for parts. One JY quoted me $250-350 for a TH-350. That's a little high right? Anyone wanna sell one cheap? If I do a rebuild what do I need? I've seen some rebuild kits with the gaskets and clutches and all that. Should I replace the torque converter too? Stock? Or should I upgrade to a 2600-3200?

Thanks for all your help.

The TH200r4 is a great swap in a car with a 350. I would think you should be able to get one for about $200 from a JY, but it may be in your best interest to have one truck freighted from the Pacific Northwest. Check out www.67-72chevytrucks.com and make a post about where you are and what you need. There are a lot of guys in Alaska, western Canada and the northwest.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Anybody? I think I'm just gonna rebuild the th350 next week. I like the idea of having a brand new (sort of) transmission. Any tips on it? I know its gonna be a pain in the ass, but my dad will help and he's a pretty good mechanic. I think we can figure it out together. I should buy a new torque converter, right? Is it worth upgrading from stock? I will be throwing a shift kit in while I'm in there.

Thanks

Guest Anonymous

Do some Google research on internet transmission rebuild kits. A lot of these sites have good information on their high performance parts and rebuilding. I would not want to put much in a 350 Turbo. I am fairly sold on the cheap 2004R's as a street transmission for a 350 SBC. Try Makco Distributing Inc. They have an informative website and some decent prices on performance rebuilds from mild to wild