HybridZ

Digital Dash question??

tpnorth

I couldnt really find anything on the digital dash that come in the 83zx so if you know where this has already been discussed please just link me to it.Okay so i have a 83 zx and for looking alot came with the digital dash but mine didnt how hard would it be to pick one up and throw it in my car.Also is it worth it i mean are they known to fail easly or anything like that??

I don't know if it has already been discussed in detail on this forum, but I remember a few things from other fourms...they were an option only on '83 models.

1) As with any 1980-83, they are limited to 85 MPH due to federal regulations at the time ("I can't drive 55" remember those days?). There has been mention on here that you could switch out the speedo cog, and use the KPH setting to go over 85 MPH

2) They are reliable, however the tachometer portion doesn't appear linear. i.e. the bars are progressively shorter, the higher the RPM. This seems opposite of what you'd expect...

3) I think they'll plug right in, in place of an '83 analog cluster, but I'm not sure they'd plug right into a '79-82 harness

4) My buddie who has one said he had a helluva time trying to find the correct replacement coolant temperature sensor. I think you'd have to also come up with at least one specific sensor for it to work properly.

Also the illumination is in green. Not sure if all '83's are, but '79-'82 have amber.

Hope this helped, -hughdogz