HybridZ

Rear diff cover gasket

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi guys,

Question regarding the rear diff cover gasket on a R200 diff. Do/should I get a gasket or can I use a high-temp RTV or permatex #1 or #2 and forget the gasket?

Thanks.

Jon

Guest Anonymous

Buy a sheet of gasket material and make your own gasket useing the cover plate as a template. get a correct size hole punch unless a common paper punch is close to the bolt diameter. I just don't like that RTV sealant and prefer the old non-hardening gasket sealers that look like black tar. a sheet of gasket material goes along way. If it had a gasket put a gasket back on.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks T, it had a gasket but it was distroyed removing the cover.

I wasn't clear in my question, but what I wanted to know was if anyone has used a flange sealing compound in leiu of a gasket. If the factory gasket or equivelent is what I should do I'll do it. I was just wondering if using a gasket was old school (where I come from) or if there was a modern equivelent.

Thanks.

jon

Get gasket maker. I bought my diff from All Z Auto Wrecking and Lee (one of the owners) pulled apart my diff to let me see the internals. He put in new oil and squirted a fat bead of this blue silicone stuff on the mating surfaces, let it set for a minute or two, and torqued it to spec. No leaking problems. I'm not sure exactly what he used but it looked like real good stuff.

i took it easy when i pulled the cover, broke the gasket, put it back on and used black rtv on the lip and slapped it back on, doesnt leak, i was lucky. buying the gasket is good insurance, cause i think you have to dang near drop the stinky differential just to change it, and you dont want to do that.