HybridZ

Fuel pressure regulator

OK - finally got the beast started last night. I have an Aeromotive FPR that appears to not be working. (AER-13204) No matter how I adjust the screw, in or out (gone to both extremes) - I get 13psi of pressure. This is killing the carbs - won't barely idle and doesn't rev at all. If I turn off the fuel pump, it continues to stumble for about 5 seconds and then runs like a champ until it dries up the bowls. I've tried with and without the vacuum hose connected, I've tried ported and non-ported vacuum - all to no avail. Adjusting the screw does absolutely nothing.

My fuel pressure gauge is right off the outlet of the FPR, so I see exactly what is going to the carbs. (Note in the top of the picture). The unit is brand new. Is there a possibility that it could be bad? I know I've got it hooked up properly according to the instructions. This is a "bypass" type system and not a deadhead system.

The pump is an Aeromotive 14psi carbureted pump. AEI-11203. The regulator says "to be able to use your EFI pump with a carburetor". I was told by Summit Racing, that this regulator will work fine with a carbureted pump. I bought this regulator because it goes down to 3psi. I have read on this site that Mikuni's need about 4psi. The carbureted regulator starts at 5psi.

Any ideas?

MotorFin1.jpg

OK - finally got the beast started last night. I have an Aeromotive FPR that appears to not be working. (AER-13204) No matter how I adjust the screw, in or out (gone to both extremes) - I get 13psi of pressure. This is killing the carbs - won't barely idle and doesn't rev at all. If I turn off the fuel pump, it continues to stumble for about 5 seconds and then runs like a champ until it dries up the bowls. I've tried with and without the vacuum hose connected, I've tried ported and non-ported vacuum - all to no avail. Adjusting the screw does absolutely nothing.

My fuel pressure gauge is right off the outlet of the FPR, so I see exactly what is going to the carbs. (Note in the top of the picture). The unit is brand new. Is there a possibility that it could be bad? I know I've got it hooked up properly according to the instructions. This is a "bypass" type system and not a deadhead system.

The pump is an Aeromotive 14psi carbureted pump. AEI-11203. The regulator says "to be able to use your EFI pump with a carburetor". I was told by Summit Racing, that this regulator will work fine with a carbureted pump. I bought this regulator because it goes down to 3psi. I have read on this site that Mikuni's need about 4psi. The carbureted regulator starts at 5psi.

Any ideas?

MotorFin1.jpg

Hey-

Do you have a return line from the regulator that goes back to the tank ? Otherwise it won't work correctly and you cannot control the pressure.

Take the top of the regulator off by removing the perimeter screws and see if there is a tear in the diaphram or something keeping the valve from seating correctly. There really isn't anything to a FPR and once you open it you will see how it works.

The two scenarios described above are the only twu reasons why it wouldn't work.

Joe