HybridZ

Drifter 240z Power Steering & Steering angle

I have a 72 240z i am currently building the car for DRIFTING. hold your comments or your opinions about whether or not you think i should or not :) . all i want to know is . WHAT DO I NEED TO GET from WHAT CAR to make my ride have power steering.

And how can i achieve a more aggressive steering ANGLE as i will be getting sideways.

if any of you have any experience customizing a Z for drifting your help would be very welcomed. :)

any help would be appreciated thanks guys.

sorry there's nothing there man. must' ve not found anything yourself.

caps lock tourettes :confused:

The Search button is your friend :icon14:.

http://forums.hybridz.org/search.php?searchid=2708803

8 related topics on page one alone...

[edit] the Sticky: would be a good place to start :D

• 4 months later...

so i got me a donor S130 ( 82 ZX turbo ) as a donor if i want power steering and a better steering angle what do i swap over into a 72 ? what parts do i need or what if anyone has a link to a power steering conversion or whatever hit me up guys :) thanx alot.

Eh? I would much rather do the electric steering unit a vendor on here sells. It mounts on the steering column and there is no hp loss. Works same as power steering only no hp loss. They have a kit for the s30...

That is a kit straight out of Japan and don't think it is a "bolt-in" at all, just known to fit once you hack a few things up! Plus its wicked expensive, go onto Japan Yahoo auctions and you will get it much cheaper!

Here is a link to a site that imports stuff to Australia, the item descriptions are in "Engrish", quite amsusing :-)!

www.importmonster.com.au

Or if you would like to do it even cheaper, use the components from a GM/Vauxhill/Holden Corsa/Barina - pretty much the same amount of work required it seems to slap it into your Z and a lot cheaper to purchase the required components - check EBAY UK for "Corsa Electric PS" and whole units appear for sale and cheap!

Here is a write-up of how to install one, with pics :-)!!!

http://zclub.net/forum/hybrid-z-cars...-steering.html

If you want to go hydraulic PS,

Read through this for how to mount the Subaru rack, what pump to use and options for the intermediate shaft,

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=112003

& the very last post in this thread (#71) will tell you which combination of rack ends and tie-rods to use to slap the Subaru rack into your car!

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=143445&page=4&highlight=subaru+rack

sweet thanks for the heads up. but i wonder if i can use the ZX steering and suspension on the 72. steering rack, control arms .etc etc, to all around upgrade the suspension and suspension .steering of the 72. i looked around searching on zdriver.com and on this page but no luck finding wether or not i can bolt on or WHAT i can fit into the S30 from the donor ZXT.

thanx guys :) if you know or have some answers plz dont be a dick and say " SEARCH" just want help if you cant help STFU. i did my search and reached a screeching halt. tahts why im asking for help :)

p.s sorry for da rant :P haha

you can get any car sideways, and 240z is easy enough to drift in.

I don't recommend power steering, and as for a better angle, the s30 has good enough steering for most drifts. However, i have a l28et in mine which has more power so it makes it easier for me to stay sideways, especially on a power drift. You really don't need to turn the wheels much anyways unless your doing a 180. Just get used to steering and counter steering on your car. its alot easier and cheaper to adapt to your car than for you to make it adapt to you. well, not including the suspension.

you can get any car sideways, and 240z is easy enough to drift in.

I don't recommend power steering, and as for a better angle, the s30 has good enough steering for most drifts. However, i have a l28et in mine which has more power so it makes it easier for me to stay sideways, especially on a power drift. You really don't need to turn the wheels much anyways unless your doing a 180. Just get used to steering and counter steering on your car. its alot easier and cheaper to adapt to your car than for you to make it adapt to you. well, not including the suspension.

Now we're speaking the same language here, true that is!. you're right i just thought it would be lbeter to throw in the PS. since on the Z when i would hit a small hole or go over a crack on the street or speed bump in a moderate or slow speed the steering wheel would jerk to one side or the other and if my finger was in between the metal of the steering wheel in a say GRANT GT. it would hit my finger as it turned by itself real quick and hurt pretty bad. and with my S13 i don't have that issue i figured the PS prevented that or something :/

i guess its a negative for the PS.

anybody have any clues what suspension parts i can throw in my S30 from the turtle ZX ? ontrol arms and strut assembly ? shafts ? tie rods ?

thanks so far guys. im sure other peeps will come across this thread with the same issues or ideas as me and get some positive feedback thanks to you guys. :)

sounds like you would do better with a steering damper like on a 4x4 truck than a power steering rack, they're made to do the same thing when a truck hits a rock, so the wheel doesn't jerk suddenly, but allow you to turn normally.