HybridZ

Coolant Leak need help asap

Guest 280zblackout

• Administrators

First off, welcome to HybridZ,

Secondly, please familiarize yourself with our Rules and Guidelines. Rule #9 says to be sure your post is in the appropriate forum. The engines water pump is not in the interior so the interior sub forum isn’t where this question belongs. :wink:(I moved it).

Click ME for the HybridZ Rules and Guidelines.

Your issue sounds like the VERY typical classic Water pump failure, coolant leaking from behind the water pump pulley.

There is a breather hole in the bottom of the water pump, behind the pulley. I'm 99.9% sure your leak is coming from that location.

The fix is purchase a NEW water pump. Stay away from reman and life-time warrantly pumps, unless you enjoy swapping water pumps on a VERY regular basis, sometimes on the side of the freeway in the middle of no-where, been there, done that! Just pay the $5-$10 extra for a new pump, regardless of how short the warranty, and it WILL outlast 95% of the reman pumps that cover a life-time warranty. Trust me on this one….

Good luck.

Then you should start with removing your fan/fan clutch/pulley to see where its coming from for sure. If it really is coming from the shaft I would junk it for sure. Ya, the local autozone/shucks/napa/ect. should have them for about that.

I was just getting ready to post...

:lmao:

lol thanks Braap

Its just normal wear and tear. Unless your car is over heating Id say your thermostat is working just fine. lol I have limited knowledge compared to some of the geniuses here on hybrid but (unfortunately) failing water pumps and destroyed radiators I do know all about, so just junk that pump and put a new one on and your good to go :icon14:

and welcome to HybridZ

Another question why would that go out?

Just wear and tear or? Would it have anything to do with my thermostat? or?

Probably age and general wear and tear. Is it a new water pump, what engine do you have? It's usually not an especially difficult or expensive thing to replace, and they all wear out eventually.

• Administrators
Another question why would that go out?

Just wear and tear or? Would it have anything to do with my thermostat? or?

Most likely not the thermostat unless it caused excessive pressure to build up in the cooling system, i.e. stuck closed, over heated, etc…

Reasons a Pump would start leaking;

Age.

Being ran dry, i.e. started and ran with no coolant.

Having water only for very extended periods. Water by itself is not a very good seal lubricant, where as coolant is somewhat slippery.

Manufacture quality. i.e. reman water pumps use low quality seals and most likely did not prepare the seal surface on the shaft, etc. With a new pump, generally, the seal surface on the shaft is prepped properly, and will have a prelube/vaseline, etc giving the seal a better chance of survival on initial start up.

Last but not least, for the L-series, its just part of the territory. These pumps weren’t designed to last 30 years and 170,000 miles.

They are relatively inexpensive, and relatively easy to replace. in do time, you'll come to appreciated this bug,... err... ehhh... feature of the L-series. :wink:

They are relatively inexpensive, and relatively easy to replace. in do time, you'll come to appreciated this bug,... err... ehhh... feature of the L-series. :wink:

Another wonderfull feature of the Z is its weight reduction possibilities :wink:

perfect for racing! ...or tetanus

Guest 280zblackout

Thanks for the help car runs great now except something fell off a truck and ripped my speedometer cable off right after a I got new pump in. pretty bad luck. it didnt come out of the tranny so somewhere in the dash correct?