HybridZ

CV axles in none turbo 280ZX?

Guest JAMIE T

Guest JAMIE T

I saw a none turbo 280ZX today with CV shafts, are these the same as the turbo cars? My brother said his father in laws 280ZX had CV axles, but I didn't beleive him. I just thought he saw the rubber boots in the middle of regular axles and assumed CV's. I was wrong and this car is stock as a rock. Thanks guys.

Jamie,

Project Deathstar

Guest JAMIE T

Now come on guys. You mean to tell me that of all the Master-Z-Minds here at HybridZ, no one knows the answer to my question? I'm hurt, truly hurt icon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_wink.gif

Jamie

Project Deathstar

Yes, we are also ashamed. The 280ZX turbo ( and I believe the 2+2's may also) have the CV jointed shafts. As far as I know, the only two shaft designs between the Z's and the 280ZX's are the one CV design or the one U-joint design, and no others. So in answer to your question, this CV jointed shaft is the same as the turbo, provided it was a 280ZX. Who knows, these may have been put on by the owner when his U-joints went out, so they may not have been factory installed.

Terry

Guest zmaize

Did I hear you right? CV Joints in ALL 280zx 2+2 cars? I have a 2+2 parts car at home. I think I'll Steal those tonight. icon_smile.gif

I probly never would have checked icon_redface.gif

The only CV axles are in 280ZXT cars IME unless an altered install. To install them in non CV 280ZX's you can just(yeah/bit of work) swap rear stubs and then install CV"s. Control arms may be different but it worked fine for me. If anything I'd guess ZXT control arms might be futher out as mine are fairly compressed on full bump.

Mine are fairly compressed too. I think I have about 1/4" of spare travel at full bump, but the slight amount of play that they had prior to my use is not in this range anymore, so it almost made them like new again.

Terry

Guest JAMIE T

CV's, definatly CV,s(slap, ok rain man) Yeah Pete, I just looked real quick as I was passing through the yard and they looked different than the ones in my Z, so I investigated this matter further. CV's, definatly CV's.

Jamie,

Project Deathstar

It's official. Today while I was at my best (greasy and sweaty in a junk yard) I saw an '82 ZX 2+2 (non-turbo) that had the CV jointed axles. I had heard about these from someone many years ago but was never able to verify it.

Terry

• 1 year later...
Guest joeyhammer

hey.. i posted this a long time ago (august) on zcar.com.. i had a 83 zx 2+2 with cv's.. and alot of people came out and verified that all 83 and some 82 2+2's had cv's.. turbo or not.. have you guys totally left that site? im trying.. i feel like ive graduated coming here.. ive been waiting till i was ready

Guest Anonymous

Ok, hears a big fat wrench in the cluttered thinking process:

If the same parts were used on the First Gen Maxima's as the 280ZX's (i.e., motor, trans, brakes, susp., drivetrain) then it is safe to say an R200 w/ CV's in a maxima wold work as well as any ZX (2+2 or turbo)?

My point is I have a buyer for my R200 who needs CV's. Since I can get them for a good price I need to know where I can look.

Nic 2thumbs.gif

Guest scca

its possible that all 83 use a cv as well..as all 83 also used the turbo hood with the vents. 2+2 were all cv "i think" for 82-3. there are no hard and fast rules for nissan just like old fords.

and to alter Ross' post a bit AFAIK the a-arms are the same ZX to ZXT and the stubs as well the only difference is the stub axle flange..

i've converted a few ZX to ZXT and done the whole swap.

i have a zxt a-arm here and it looks to be identical to the non turbo one