HybridZ

Maybe a new project?

Guest co_427

Hi all,

I just ran across this site tonight and decided I had to sign up. You see I wrecked my '90 Mustang LX notchback Wednesday morning on the way to work. My Mustang has a 427 stroker (351W) and a Procharger supercharger putting out about 550 rear wheel horsepower. It also has a Lentech AOD racing transmission rated for 1000 hp. Well, like I said I wrecked the Mustang, it will probably be a total but the drive train seems fine. I also have a '75 Datsun Z project car sitting in the garage with the Cal-Z kit 3/4 installed. What do you guys think, a match made in heaven?

Are there motor mounts available (should be the same as a 5.0)? Does anybody make sub-frame connectors for the Z? Anybody know how much HP the R200 rear end can handle? Can you get good limited slip for the R200? Has anybody swapped in a Dana 44 IRS from a Corvette?

I am new to this idea and this site. I figured I would pick the brains of the experts before I pulled the trigger on this project.

If you scroll up and look...we're IN the ford subforums. :wink:

Sounds like a fun combo though. A SB 427 would be pretty rad in a Z.

Are there motor mounts available (should be the same as a 5.0)?
You'll want to get the JTR V8 conversion manual first. It covers a Chevy install, but the mounting would be pretty much the same, just with Ford mounts.

Does anybody make sub-frame connectors for the Z?
Not a pre fabbed kit, that I know of. Some folks have put in a S14 subframe before though.

Anybody know how much HP the R200 rear end can handle?
I don't know the particulars, but there are members here that have FAR more power than 550 rwhp that run the stock R200 and half-shafts.

Can you get good limited slip for the R200?
yes. There are about 5-6 different types of LSD that will fit the R200.

Has anybody swapped in a Dana 44 IRS from a Corvette?
Not that I know of. I believe it's been discussed, but have determined it'd be FAR more work than is warranted, especially with a nice R200 underneath. Same stock ratio by the way...3.54. Only reason you would is just to be "different".

...and before an admin comes in here, I'm gonna go ahead and warn ya...

...if you have ANY questions...even the smallest one...you'll DEFINITELY want to use the Search function FIRST. People here tend to frown on answering the same questions that could've been easily answered with a search.

....and welcome! Glad you "decided" to get outta that notchback. That same setup in a Z will be a lot more fun. :D

BadDogParts.com for subframe connectors

There are mounts available yes. Speedway Motors sells a 302/351 Universal chassis mount that will fit between the frame rails of the Z with no problem.

The only issue is front sump vs rear sump oil pan. The front sump might run into the crossmember - I also think there may be issues with the crank pulley and the crossmember.

Gimme 3 weeks and I'll let you know all the details - All I have left to do right now is swap the rear end for all the R200/Z31CV/5 Lug stuff and then I'm ready to mount the motor in the car - 1994 Cobra 302.