HybridZ

T04B15 Question

zbigtim

You will find that the majority of the Nissan turbine housings will be cracked in a similar way. I have four of them and they are all cracked. I have been told that if they do not leak, to just use them. You may be able to find one off of a Z31, that is what I did, as they seem to not crack as severely as the 280ZXT ones. Hope that helps.

Aaron

Remove the compressor wheel. They can gall on the shaft if you have to turn it alot without it slowly coming off. Once it's off, lightly tap on the threaded end of the shaft and the turbine will pop out. The only that that will be giving resistance is the piston ring on the end of the turbine wheel. You just need enough force to pop that out. Same with putting it back in just make sure you have the ring seated as far as it will go into the chamfer in the center housing. Use the T4 heat shield with the T4 wheel too.

Would I not want to use the T3 wheel and shield. The T4 is not going to fit inside the T3 exhaust housing, will it?

I have disassembled both turbos and are comparing the parts. It looks like I need to take the exhaust turbine off the T3 shaft and install it on the new T4 shaft. The T4 shaft has a longer thread (left handed thread) than the T3 on the compressor side. Is this something I can do in my own garage? What about balancing the assembly?

1229912825.jpg

The exhaust wheels don't come off the shafts, try assembling everything using the T04 compressor section and the T3 rear section, the thread is longer but it looks like the rest of the shaft is the same length, pretty sure it'll work okay. You should get it balanced.

I have disassembled both turbos and are comparing the parts. It looks like I need to take the exhaust turbine off the T3 shaft and install it on the new T4 shaft. The T4 shaft has a longer thread (left handed thread) than the T3 on the compressor side. Is this something I can do in my own garage? What about balancing the assembly?

You should get it balanced.

Compressor and turbine wheels are balanced individually. Unless it came from an aftermarket shop like Turbonetics it won't matter. Even they just take the weight off the compressor nut. I've mixed and matched their parts without problems. New nut of coarse.

The exhaust wheels don't come off the shafts, try assembling everything using the T04 compressor section and the T3 rear section, the thread is longer but it looks like the rest of the shaft is the same length, pretty sure it'll work okay. You should get it balanced.

Thank you, that is what I'll try. I think you're right. There was some side to side play in the T3, before I disassembled. Do you think that the bearings in the center section is what wears, or do I need to worry about the shaft. I will mic the shaft today and compare to the newer T4 shaft.

Compressor and turbine wheels are balanced individually. Unless it came from an aftermarket shop like Turbonetics it won't matter. Even they just take the weight off the compressor nut. I've mixed and matched their parts without problems. New nut of coarse.

Yes, you can see on the backside of the compressor wheel where it was balanced, and I will definitely use a new nut. As a note; the T4 shaft has a left hand thread, and looking at the rotation of the shaft, this makes sense. Anybody have issues with the nut loosening on the T3?