HybridZ

Interest in T56 adaptor to Lakewood bellhousing?

Wagz

I had a conversation with my engine builder about my plans to mate my '97 T56 to my older style (2-piece rear main) block. I was planning on ordering a custom bellhousing from Weir Hotrod Products.

He told me that he has built adaptors to mate T56 trannies to early style Corvette and Camaro bellhousings in the past and still has his blueprints. He suggested having an adaptor CNC'ed to mate a Lakewood 15000 bellhousing to the T56. His 'guestimate' was about $125 per adaptor plate plus the cost of the Lakewood bell.

He suggested that the best setup would be a 10.5" clutch, 153 tooth flywheel and small pocket starter to maximize clearance.

Any thoughts on the setup? Anyone else interested in an adaptor plate. He is willing to have a run setup on a CNC mill if more people want 'em.

Buy the way, this guy has more than 30 years experience building stock car and drag engines, has worked for Sallee Chev. and does free-lance research for GM. I trust his work completely.

This is the way I'd do it. Heck, you can probably find a used Lakewood 15000 - I did. I've seen that adapter in pictures (the BW one and the Sallee one), and it's dirt simple. I'd say go for it, and get a few extras from people here to lower your price!

I wonder if he's the machinist that came up with the one that the Sallee aftermarket trans comes with!

Guest Tht1KSguy

Hmmmm this got me thinking... I have the lakewood bellhousing for the BB Mopar swap. I'm wondering if the input shaft from the T56 is long enough that it could be made to work for my application? The T56 is about the only overdrive tranny that's going to be able to handle that torque capacity. I'm guessing it would take some sort of hybrid clutch combo w/ the pressure plate to work... thinking out loud here... any thoughts?

Thanks

I could check to see if he would be interested in building an adaptor for the LS1 version. He already has blueprints for the LT1 version to the Lakewood bell. I'm not sure he wants to go through the design phases again. I know the input shafts are different in the '93 to '97 versions versus the '98 and newer trannies. I have no idea what else is different.

He would have to have pretty precise measurements from the trans and bellhousing to develop the design. I'll run it by him and see how interested he is in new development. He is pretty much a Chevy guy. I'm not sure how much Mopar or Ford background he has. Stay tuned.