HybridZ

l28et engine upgrade help

Guest senatE

Cool, have not read anything on the Z automatic being used heavy......

not that it has not happened, just never came across it.

Lots of "what dose it take to convert a auto to man"?

:D well i guess its new for some of you to see it than. i cant wait to get this on the road, im avoiding putting on the head gasket right now till i can get some parts for it. im not gonna put the parts on when i replace the head gasket but just more reason to spend money on the car while its not running.

Enjoy it, its a clunky, antiquated, 40 year old 3 speed automatic transmission. BTW, that thread linked to above at z31.com pertains to z31 4 speeds.. while that transmission DID evolve from the 3 speed in the S30, they aren't the same animal, and most of the thread was beating the dead horse of "what can you do to this automatic transaxle" into the dirt.

I know you can swap the bellhousing off of the stock manual gearbox onto the manual gearbox from a 240SX. The automatic trans from the 240SX is the "grandchild" of the 3 speed in your Z-car. who knows? you might get lucky :)

If you want to learn about these transmissions some (not a GREAT deal of help but it shows you the heritage involved and the vehicles they are in) look up 280ZX in wikipedia, and look at the section on the right side where they run through a bullet list of vehicle specs. There is a link there to "jatco 3n71" automatic transmission.. the 4n71 was in the earlier 300ZX, and then the 240SX slushbox was the 4r01. Maybe you could use one of those?? The hardbody pickups used that same box, too, and there was a "medium dudty" one available (some hardbodies/pathfinders and all 240SX)

Enjoy it, its a clunky, antiquated, 40 year old 3 speed automatic transmission. BTW, that thread linked to above at z31.com pertains to z31 4 speeds.. while that transmission DID evolve from the 3 speed in the S30, they aren't the same animal, and most of the thread was beating the dead horse of "what can you do to this automatic transaxle" into the dirt.

I know you can swap the bellhousing off of the stock manual gearbox onto the manual gearbox from a 240SX. The automatic trans from the 240SX is the "grandchild" of the 3 speed in your Z-car. who knows? you might get lucky :)

If you want to learn about these transmissions some (not a GREAT deal of help but it shows you the heritage involved and the vehicles they are in) look up 280ZX in wikipedia, and look at the section on the right side where they run through a bullet list of vehicle specs. There is a link there to "jatco 3n71" automatic transmission.. the 4n71 was in the earlier 300ZX, and then the 240SX slushbox was the 4r01. Maybe you could use one of those?? The hardbody pickups used that same box, too, and there was a "medium dudty" one available (some hardbodies/pathfinders and all 240SX)

I use the L4n71b hydraulic trans behind my L28. It might be an old box but its pure and simple, with predictable gearchanges that can be firmed up with some simple tweaks. I have a high stall converter and an adjustable vacuum modulator valve too. There are parts around for these guys aplenty...you just have to ask the right people. :-D Oh, these boxes were also put behind Mazda 626's and others if you need one.

I like the hydraulic version as opposed to the computer controlled version because it's a simpler proposition all round IMO. (L4n71b Vs E4n71b)

The 4n is a 3n with overdrive. The valve bodies are so similar you can use the changes outlined in the thread on your 3n. The only advantage the 4n has besides the overdrive is that the turbo 4n has a 4 gear planetary gearset. The trans is very similar to a modified c4 except it already has good the good stuff in it that the builders put into a c4. With the 4 planetary gearset KEAS rates the jatco to something like 600whp, 475whp without. 4r trans is not an upgrade at all unless you have the twin turbo auto. Then you can pay 700-1000 for your valve body alone with a 600whp rating. It's also very simple to manualize the 3N/4N transmission.

• 2 weeks later...